A Barrier is a semi-intangible wall created by an ability. Almost all abilities (and along with their effects) which are initiated by the enemy team will be blocked by the barrier, but it does not, however, restrict movement and melee abilities. Teammates' ability can pass through their team's barriers without damage it. The only heroes that can erect or create barrier currently are Reinhardt, Winston, Orisa, Symmetra, and Zarya.
Reinhardt, Winston, Orisa and Symmetra's Barriers Edit
Reinhardt's, Winston's and Symmetra's barriers have a limited amount of health, and will start to visibly crack when below 50% of their health, and will crack even more at 25% health. If a shot deals more damage than the barrier's remaining health, the barrier will still block the shot.
- Reinhardt's Barrier Field creates a rectangular barrier in front of him with 2000 health. It will recover 200 health per second after 2 seconds of disuse. If the barrier is broken, it will take 5 seconds to cooldown before it can be used again at 600 health.
- Winston's Barrier Projector creates a stationary bubble-shaped barrier from a device with 600 health that will vanish after 5 seconds. The barrier will be immediately deployed the moment the device leaves Winston's hand, and will drop straight down. Its 13-second cooldown will start after deployed.
- Orisa's Protective Barrier throw a device ahead; after the device lands onto a surface, it will create a curved-and-rectangular-shaped barrier with 900 health that will vanish after 20 seconds. Its 12-second cooldown will start after deployed.
- Symmetra's Photon Barrier creates an oval-shaped barrier with 1000 health that moves forward after generated. It will break after its center turret colliding with any inanimate obstacle.
Some abilities will be able to pass through their barriers, some will deal damage to the barrier and as well as to heroes standing behind them if possible.
- Hanzo's Dragonstrike: Deal damage to the barrier.
- Mei's Blizzard: Her drone can be threw through the barrier but does not deal damage to the barrier. Her freezing is also able to affect anyone stand behind the barrier and also deal damage to the barrier.
- Reinhardt's Fire Strike: Deal damage to the barrier.
- Winston's Tesla Cannon: Deal damage to the barrier.
- Symmetra's alternate fire of Photon Projector: Deal damage to the barrier.
- Ana's Nano Boost: Can target through enemy barrier. Does not deal damage to the barrier.
Zarya's Particle and Projected Barriers Edit
Zarya's Barrier has different characteristics. Her Particle Barrier and Projected Barrier abilities create bubble-shaped barriers around herself or a teammate. It has 200 health, vanishes after 2 seconds, and contributes to Zarya's Energy. There is no damage-dealing attack that the barrier cannot absorb. And also, if the barrier still has at least 1 health, it will still absorb any incoming damage.
Also, any hero possessing a barrier will remove all negative effects on them, like Zenyatta's Orb of Discord, Tracer's Pulse Bomb, etc. The barrier also protect them from external crowd-control effects. But if the attack can pierce through the barrier, for example: the pinning effect of Reinhardt's Charge, knockback effect from Winston's Primal Rage, only the damage will be absorbed, but the effect will still act on barrier-protected heroes.