A Barrier is a semi-intangible wall created by an ability. Almost all abilities (and along with their effects) which are initiated by the enemy team will be blocked by the barrier, but it will not restrict movement or block melee abilities. Teammates' abilities can pass through friendly barriers without damaging it. The only heroes that can erect or create barriers are currently Reinhardt, Winston, Orisa, Symmetra, and Zarya.
Regular Barriers Edit
Reinhardt's, Orisa's, Winston's and Symmetra's barriers have a limited amount of HP; they will start to visibly crack when below 50% of their HP, and will crack even more at 25% HP. If a shot deals more damage than the barrier's remaining HP, the barrier will still block the shot.
- Reinhardt's creates a rectangular barrier in front of him with 2000 HP. It will recover 200 HP per second after 2 seconds of disuse. If the barrier is broken, it will take 5 seconds to cooldown before it can be used again at 600 HP.
- Winston's creates a stationary spherical barrier from a device with 600 HP that will vanish after 5 seconds. The barrier will be deployed immediately after the device leaves Winston's hand, and will drop straight down, regardless of Winston's trajectory. Its 13-second cooldown will start after deployed.
- Orisa's throws a device ahead; after the device lands onto a surface, it will create a curved-and-rectangular-shaped barrier with 900 HP that will vanish after 20 seconds. Its 8-second cooldown will start after deployed.
- Symmetra's creates an oval-shaped barrier with 1000 HP that moves infinitely forward after generated. It will break if its center turret collides with any part of the environment.
Some abilities will be able to pass through their barriers, some will deal damage to the barrier and as well as to heroes standing behind them if possible.
- Hanzo's Dragonstrike: Deal damage to the barrier.
- Mei's Blizzard: Her drone can be thrown through the barrier, but does not deal damage to it. Her freezing is also able to affect anyone standing behind the barrier and also deals damage to the barrier.
- Reinhardt's Fire Strike: Deal damage to the barrier.
- Winston's Tesla Cannon: Deal damage to the barrier.
- Symmetra's alternate fire of Photon Projector: Deal damage to the barrier.
- Ana's Nano Boost: Can target through enemy barriers. Does not deal damage to the barrier.
Zarya's Barriers Edit
Zarya's Barriers have different characteristics. Her and abilities create bubble-shaped barriers around herself or a teammate. They have 200 health, vanish after 2 seconds, and contribute to Zarya's Energy. There is no damage-dealing attack that the barrier cannot absorb. Just like regular barriers, if an incoming attack deals more damage than the amount of HP the barrier has left, it will block all of its damage.
Any hero possessing this kind of barrier will have almost all negative effects on them removed, like Zenyatta's Orb of Discord, Tracer's Pulse Bomb, etc., the exception being Sombra's Hack. The barrier also protects them from external crowd-control effects (i.e. Pharah's Concussive Blast), but if the attack can pierce through the barrier, (i.e. the pinning effect of Reinhardt's Charge, knockback effect from Winston's Primal Rage), only the damage will be absorbed, but the effect will still act on barrier-protected heroes.