A Barrier is a semi-intangible wall created by an ability. Almost all abilities (and along with their effects) which are initiated by the enemy team will be blocked by the barrier, but it will not restrict movement or block melee abilities. Teammates' abilities can pass through friendly barriers without damaging it. The only heroes that can erect or create barriers are currently Reinhardt, Winston, Orisa, Symmetra, Zarya, and Brigitte.
Regular Barriers Edit
Most barriers have a varying amount of HP. They will visibly crack when below 50% of their HP, and will crack further at 25% HP. If an incoming attack deals more damage than the barrier's remaining HP, the barrier will still block all damage.
- Brigitte's creates a shield-shaped barrier in front of her with 600 HP. It will recover 100 HP per second after 2 seconds of disuse. If the barrier is broken, it will take 3 seconds to cool down before it can be used again.
- Orisa's throws a device ahead; after the device lands onto a surface, it will create a semi-dome barrier with 900 HP that will vanish after 20 seconds. Its 8-second cooldown will start after deployed.
- Reinhardt's creates a rectangular barrier in front of him with 2000 HP. It will recover 200 HP per second after 2 seconds of disuse. If the barrier is broken, it will take 5 seconds to cool down before it can be used again at 600 HP.
- Symmetra's creates an oval-shaped barrier with 1000 HP that moves infinitely forward after generated. It will break if its center turret collides with any part of the environment.
- Winston's creates a stationary spherical barrier from a device with 600 HP that will vanish after 5 seconds. The barrier will be deployed immediately after the device leaves Winston's hand, and will drop straight down, regardless of Winston's trajectory. Its 13-second cooldown will start after deployed.
Some abilities are able to pass through barriers, and will deal damage to the barrier as well as to heroes standing behind them if possible.
- Hanzo's Dragonstrike: Deal damage to the barrier.
- Mei's Blizzard: Her drone can be thrown through the barrier, but does not deal damage to it. Her freezing is unable to affect anyone standing behind the barrier but still deals damage to the barrier.
- Reinhardt's Fire Strike: Deal damage to the barrier.
- Winston's Tesla Cannon: Deal damage to the barrier.
- Symmetra's alternate fire of Photon Projector: Deal damage to the barrier.
- Ana's Nano Boost: Can target through enemy barriers. Does not deal damage to the barrier.
- Moira's Coalescence: Deal damage to the barrier.
Zarya's Barriers Edit
Zarya's Barriers have different characteristics. Her and abilities create bubble-shaped barriers around herself or a teammate. They have 200 health, vanish after 2 seconds, and contribute to Zarya's Energy. There is no damage-dealing attack that the barriers cannot absorb. Just like regular barriers, if an incoming attack deals more damage than the amount of HP the barrier has left, it will block all of its damage.
Any hero possessing this kind of barrier will have almost all negative effects on them removed, like Zenyatta's Orb of Discord, Tracer's Pulse Bomb, etc., the exception being Sombra's Hack. The barrier also protects them from external crowd-control effects (i.e. Pharah's Concussive Blast), but if the attack can pierce through the barrier, (i.e. the pinning effect of Reinhardt's Charge, knockback effect from Winston's Primal Rage), only the damage will be absorbed, but the effect will still act on barrier-protected heroes.
- In the beta, Bastion possessed a 900 HP barrier when using Configuration: Sentry.