It is Festival de la Luz in Dorado, an annual celebration of the end of the Omnic Crisis and the period of darkness - both figurative and literal - that engulfed Mexico when the Omnics destroyed much of the country's power grid and infrastructure. But there is a new dawn, as LumériCo and its CEO, war hero and former president Guillermo Portero, are unveiling a string of fusion plants that promise to deliver clean, free energy to the Mexican people.
The payload in this map is a truck with a fusion core in the back. The attacking team must escort it to the ziggurat to activate the power plant.
Overhead map Edit
- External Media
During the Omnic Crisis, Mexico's infrastructure was destroyed in what its people call ' ', causing the nation to lose power and internet access for years. Today, the citizens of Dorado celebrate its end with the . LumériCo was founded by former president Guillermo Portero to repair the network, but a gang called Los Muertos has been fighting the company and accusing it of being corrupt.
LumériCo's latest power plant in Dorado was set to be finished on November 1, with a large party on Market Street to celebrate it. However, Los Muertos managed to hack into LumériCo's database with help from a 'hacker collective' called Sombra. They leaked emails exposing the company's financial scandals and connections to Vishkar, sparking protests on the day of the celebration. On the same day, Junkrat and Roadhog broke into the Banco de Dorado and stole millions of dollars in gold.
Two days later, Guillermo Portero stepped down from his position as CEO, and pro-Sombra graffiti has appeared across the world.
- In the market, there is a piñata that resembles Diablo from the franchise of the same name.
- To the left of the second attackers' spawn, there is Los Muertos graffiti identical to the graffiti in Hollywood.
- In front of the town hall, there is a statue of Guillermo Portero, with a plaque that says " ".
- Near the final defenders' spawn, there is a table with three folders on it, all marked "Jack Morrison", another says "Soldado: 76", and the last says "Sombra". ". One is marked "
- In the final defenders' spawn, there is a map of Mexico marked " ". Several towns are marked, including Dorado.
- Unlike other maps, Dorado was never formally announced by Overwatch on social media. It was first seen in Twitch.tv streams from streamers HayliNic and Ellohime on October 15, 2015.
- Dorado was the second payload map that the development team worked on. It was designed to be an uphill climb for the attacking team with large, vertical spaces.
- The artists working on Dorado searched for colorful Mexican towns for inspriation, and found a photo of a town on a cliff overlooking the ocean. They used the photo for reference, only to later find out that the town was actually Manarola, Italy.
- ↑ Overwatch Visual Source Book, p.114
- ↑ @PlayOverwatch Tweet
- ↑ Nick Carver's ArtStation
- ↑ LumériCo Vision for Mexico Unveiled, but Threats to Safety and Security Remain
- ↑ LumériCo Revelations: CEO Guillermo Portero Under Fire
- ↑ LumériCo CEO Steps Down
- ↑ HayliNic's Stream, Ellohime's Stream
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 From the Blizzard offices
- ↑ Jeff Kaplan Talks Overwatch's World, Shows Spider-Like Character
|Maps in Overwatch|
|Assault||Hanamura (Winter) •• Horizon Lunar Colony •• Temple of Anubis •• Volskaya Industries|
|Escort||Dorado •• Junkertown •• Rialto •• Route 66 •• Watchpoint: Gibraltar|
|Assault/Escort||Blizzard World •• Eichenwalde (Halloween) •• Hollywood (Halloween) •• King's Row (Winter) •• Numbani|
|Control||Ilios •• Lijiang Tower (Lunar) •• Nepal •• Oasis|
|Arcade||Arena||Black Forest (Winter) •• Castillo •• Ecopoint: Antarctica (Winter) •• Necropolis|
|CtF||Ayutthaya •• Ilios Lighthouse | Well | Ruins •• Lijiang Night Market | Garden | Control Center •• Nepal Village | Shrine | Sanctum •• Oasis City Center | Gardens | University|
|Event||Lúcioball||Estádio das Rãs •• Sydney Harbour Arena|
|Other||Adlersbrunn •• Lijiang Tower (CtR) •• King's Row (Uprising)|
|Italics are upcoming maps.|