Bundle up for a journey to Ecopoint: Antarctica, the former Overwatch installation where climatologist Mei-Ling Zhou was once stationed. While researching severe weather anomalies in the region, the station was hit by an intense polar storm. Running out of options and low on supplies, the team decided to cryogenically freeze themselves until the storm passed. They believed that it would only be for a few months, but Mei awoke nearly a decade later.
Ecopoint: Antarctica was an Overwatch-run research facility near the coast of Antarctica. The scientists stationed here - Adams, MacReady, Opara, Torres, Arrhenius, and Mei-Ling Zhou - were investigating climate anomalies and cryostasis technology when a massive storm hit the ecopoint, and they lost connection to the outside world. As their food and energy supplies dwindled, the scientists were forced to freeze themselves in cryostasis until help arrived.
A decade later, the scientists were found, but all had died in the storm except for Mei.
Easter Eggs Edit
- Around the map, there are several handwritten notes belonging to Mei. The notes are varied; some are about the surrounding topography while in some she wishes herself Happy Birthday. It is possible that these notes were left for her or anyone to read in case the crew awakened from the cryostasis.
- There are a lot of reference to the 1982 film The Thing, a horror movie takes place at an Antarctica research station in a heavy snow storm. There is one scientist in cryotasis named MacReady (the same name of a character in the movie), a chess game next to the whiskey bottle and cup (reenacting a scene in the movie), and a huge ice block in an inaccessible room (as an allusion to the ice block the alien monster escaped from).
- Following the release of Rise and Shine, coffee mugs were placed in front of the scientists' malfunctioned cryo-pods, as a nod to the events that took place in the short.
- All of the Overwatch logos present on the map were also retconned from Blue to Green following the release of the short.
- Ecopoint: Antarctica is one of the three maps without any Environmental hazards, the other two being Hollywood and Temple of Anubis.
Patch changes Edit
|Maps in Overwatch|
|Assault||Hanamura (Winter) •• Horizon Lunar Colony •• Temple of Anubis •• Volskaya Industries|
|Escort||Dorado •• Junkertown •• Route 66 •• Watchpoint: Gibraltar|
|Assault/Escort||Blizzard World •• Eichenwalde (Halloween) •• Hollywood (Halloween) •• King's Row (Winter) •• Numbani|
|Control||Ilios •• Lijiang Tower (Lunar) •• Nepal •• Oasis|
|Arcade||Arena||Black Forest (Winter) •• Castillo •• Ecopoint: Antarctica (Winter) •• Necropolis|
|CtF||Ayutthaya •• Ilios Lighthouse | Well | Ruins •• Lijiang Night Market | Garden | Control Center •• Nepal Village | Shrine | Sanctum •• Oasis City Center | Gardens | University|
|Event||Lúcioball||Estádio das Rãs •• Sydney Harbour Arena|
|Other||Adlersbrunn •• Lijiang Tower (CtR) •• King's Row (Uprising)|
|Italics are upcoming maps.|
|Members||Founders||Jack Morrison • Gabriel Reyes • Ana Amari • Reinhardt Wilhelm • Torbjörn Lindholm • Liao|
|Agents||Mercy • Winston • Tracer • Gérard Lacroix|
|Blackwatch||McCree • Genji • Moira|
|Other||Mei • Director Petras • Mirembe • Kimiko • Singh • Bayless • Al-Farouk • Soundquake • Fusionator|
|Media||Shorts||Cinematic Trailer • Recall • King's Row Uprising Origin Story • Doomfist Origin Story • Rise and Shine • Honor and Glory|
|Comics||Legacy • Junkenstein • Uprising|
|Articles||Fading Glory • Overwatch is Back|
|Lore||Bases||Swiss Headquarters • Watchpoint: Gibraltar • Ecopoint: Antarctica • Watchpoint: Grand Mesa|
|Vehicles||MV-261 Orca • OSS-7 Aurora|
|Enemies||Omnic Rebel Army • Talon • Null Sector • Shimada Clan • Deadlock Gang|
|Missions||Omnic Crisis • Uprising|