Mastering his skills as a bowman and an assassin, Hanzo Shimada strives to prove himself as a warrior without peer.
The Shimada family was established centuries ago, a clan of assassins whose power grew over the years, enabling them to build a vast criminal empire that profited from lucrative trade in arms and illegal substances. As the eldest son of the family's head, Hanzo was bound by duty to succeed his father and rule the Shimada empire. From a young age, he was trained for that responsibility, displaying a natural aptitude for leadership and possessing an innate understanding of strategy and tactics. He also excelled in more practical areas: he was a prodigy in martial arts, swordplay, and bowmanship.
Upon the death of his father, the clan elders instructed Hanzo to straighten out his wayward younger brother so that he, too, might help rule the Shimada empire. When his brother refused, Hanzo was forced to kill him. This act broke Hanzo's heart and drove him to reject his father's legacy, ultimately leading him to abandon the clan and all that he had worked so hard to attain.
Now, Hanzo travels the world, perfecting his skills as a warrior, attempting to restore his honor and put the ghosts of his past to rest.
Beside these abilities, Hanzo is able to jump, crouch, and perform Quick Melee. Hanzo is unable to reload.
- All seasonal event items, which are marked with special event icons ( • • • • • ), are only available to be unlocked either through their respective Loot Boxes or by Credits within the event's duration. During the event, newly-introduced event items cost three times as much as non-event items of the same rarity, while returning seasonal items are unlocked at the regular price.
- a This emote, after activating, will remain in its animation until the player inputs other actions to interrupt it.
- For Hanzo-specific sprays, see Hanzo/Sprays.
One purchase of an alternate weapon skin will apply to the Storm Bow of all unlocked skins when equipping it.
Hanzo was born into the Shimada Empire as the first child of Sojiro Shimada, who is the master of his clan, three years before his brother Genji. As the eldest child, he would be the heir to the empire after his father. His family trained him in martial arts, archery, sword fighting, all of which he became extremely skilled at.
Though Hanzo took his position seriously, Genji did not. After their father died, and under instruction from the clan's elders, Hanzo's first action was to convince Genji to take more responsibility in the clan. Genji refused, leading into a violent fight and Hanzo was forced to kill his brother. Upon Genji's assumed death, Hanzo left the clan out of sorrow. The Shimada clan was later dismantled by Overwatch.
Hanzo wandered the world after leaving, though every year he would return to Hanamura on the anniversary of his brother's "death" to put incense offerings for him. Many assassins were sent after him during this time. Hanzo returned to Hanamura again on that special day, only to find what he believes to be an assassin stalking him. At first, he did not realize who it was, but after a long fight, the assassin revealed himself to be Genji. Genji forgave Hanzo for almost murdering him, and left him again after leaving him some words to ponder.
Around Christmas time, Hanzo was seen browsing a traditional Christmas cake.
Hanzo constantly aims to prove himself, be it for responsibility or redemption. He heavily preoccupies a code of honor, yet displays arrogance at times. Despite their sibling rivalry, Hanzo really cares about Genji, as proven by the fact that he rejected his own clan when the clan's duty forced him to kill his brother. Nonetheless, he sometimes misses his home and laments about what could've happened if he'd fulfilled his destiny as the master of the Shimada clan.
Although his regards to his family and duty have caused him a lot of trauma, Hanzo has his moments where he shows his own sense of humor. In game, he likes to call out that his enemies fall like certain things, depending on the map where the match is held. For example, he states, "My enemies fall like...heh heh heh...destroyed pinatas!" while in Dorado. He enjoys a good bowl of ramen once in a while and, oddly enough, has an interest in riches, as conveyed by when he asks Junkrat about where he hides his treasure.
- Hanzo works best against turtled or cornered targets.
- Hanzo is a very mobile sniper. He's able to get to many places an Ana or Widowmaker sometimes can't, besides Widowmaker's grapple hook, which has a cooldown.
- Storm Bow
- Hanzo excels at killing enemies at mid-long range with his bow.
- When using Hanzo's default reticle, it is best to use the middle dot, as it hits more consistently at short and long range.
- Good Hanzo's must be patient, for if they spam fire their bow, they will not be successful. If enemies are moving, try to estimate how far they will move the next second or so, and aim slightly ahead however much that distance is. This "shooting ahead" tactic generally lands more shots than trying to aiming exactly at a moving target.
- At longer ranges, aiming slightly above a target's head will result in a more accurate shot, since Hanzo's arrows travel in an arc.
- Scatter Arrow
- Hanzo's Scatter Arrow is best aimed at the floor in front of an enemy, so optimal damage is inflicted.
- Any obstructions such as a curve in the ground or a slight bump can affect how the arrow breaks. For the optimal damage, aim at a flat surface.
- Scatter Arrow can easily kill tanks such as Zarya or Orisa. A well placed Scatter Arrow paired with a full charged shot can finish Reinhardt and Winston.
- Scatter Arrow is your only close range tool, so be careful of when you use it.
- Sonic Arrow
- Sonic Arrow has a smaller range than Widowmaker's , but can be used more often. It also has the substantial benefit that it has no callout, meaning that the enemy does not know it is being used.
- Use Sonic Arrow to identify the locations of enemies, then move behind a wall and attack with Dragonstrike.
- Use Dragonstrike to clear enemies from an objective.
- Hanzo's Dragonstrike can pierce through any wall, so in the hands of a skilled player, it is possible to eliminate enemies without ever being exposed to damage and gunfire.
- Because Dragonstrike is relatively slow, enemies will respond by moving away from it, so target enclosed or critical spaces.
- Hanzo and his allies can freely stand "inside" the moving dragons, meaning that they can be used as camouflage or protection for an attack.
- Although Hanzo is very good at long range, he suffers at close range with anything except his scatter arrow.
- Genji can all of Hanzo's projectiles.
- Roadhog's and combo can easily kill Hanzo.
- Widowmaker is a superior sniper to Hanzo, as she is equipped with a scope and hitscan bullets.
- Hanzo's original concept was a cyborg assassin brandishing a bow and arrow. The character had the same mask as Genji; he also carried a neon green, glowing sword. His suit had the style of old samurai armor and there was a shimenawa rope around his waist. Later, the concept was split into the design for Genji and Hanzo.
- The only things carried over to Hanzo's design are the boots he wears and his bow and arrows. Although the concept character's bow followed a cyborg theme - futuristic and robotic - Hanzo's bow became rather simplistic and more traditional.
- When equipping Hanzo with the Okami ('wolf' in Japanese) or Lone Wolf skin, some voice lines and action change with his appearance:
- The ultimate voice line is changed to "狼よ、我が敵を食らえ" (okami yo, waga teki wo kurae, meaning wolves, consume my enemies), heard by both Hanzo and his enemies. Allies hear "The wolf hunts for its prey!" along with long howling choirs. The dragons change to a pair of wolves.
- Sonic Arrows' voice lines are changed to "The wolf marks its prey." and "See through the Wolf's eyes."
- In Beta, the Young Hanzo and Young Master skins had distinctly younger voices, but this was changed to his normal voice before the official release.
- Hanzo's Rare skins, Azuki, Kinoko, Midori, and Sora mean, respectively, 'azuki bean' (a Japanese red bean), 'mushroom' (although 'ki' can be 'yellow'), 'green', and 'sky'.
Cultural References Edit
- Hanzo's voice line "From one thing, know ten thousand things" is a direct quote from the famous martial arts text Go Rin No Sho: The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi.
- Hanzo's quote "All your base are belong to us" is a reference to the famous catchphrase from the 1989 game Zero Wing.
- The quote "I choose you, spirit dragon" is a reference to the Pokémon anime; "I choose you" is a quote which the anime's protagonist, Ash Ketchum, is known for.
- Hanzo's name could be an allusion to Hattori Hanzō, a famous samurai from Japanese history, who is often portrayed in popular culture as a ninja master.
- Hanzo's Halloween voice line "You are already dead" is a quote from the Fist of the North Star anime/manga, which the protagonist, Kenshiro, is famous for saying before killing someone.
- Hanzo's quote "Simple geometry" could be a reference to The Hustler scene in the TV show Fresh Prince of Bel Air
- Due to his Okami skin being mainly white, this can be a nod to Capcom's game Okami.
- Hanzo's hairstyle in the Reflections comic is a chonmage hairstyle and is a traditional Japanese hairstyle and was associated with the samurai.
- Hanzo's emote Dance was from Soran Bushi, a Japanese traditional fisherman's dance.
- Hanzo could be a reference to the warrior beetle from Kubo and the Two Strings, who is also called Hanzo. While that Hanzo is a warrior who is fighting for good, and Hanzo was a former criminal, the two share many resemblances. The most significant is that both are master archers. Additionally, both were the leaders of a family clan, one pillaging for riches and causing chaos, the other fighting for justice.
- ↑ Genji's Sparrow skin's lore information
- ↑ Dragons
- ↑ Reflections
- ↑ http://www.pcgamer.com/overwatch-story-chris-metzen-interview/#page-3
|General||Main • Quotes • Gallery • Skins and Weapons • Sprays|
|Abilities||Storm Bow • Scatter Arrow • Sonic Arrow • Wall Climb • Dragonstrike|
|Heroes in Overwatch|