Built as a first step towards humanity's renewed exploration of space, the Horizon Lunar Colony’s goal was to examine the effects of prolonged extraterrestrial habitation—on human and ape alike. The scientists’ research proved incredibly promising...until, suddenly, all contact and communications with the base were lost.
- External Media
The Horizon Lunar Colony was a space colony intended to serve as a launching point for humanity's next step in space exploration. In an effort to study the effects of long-term living in space, the station housed a number of genetically enhanced primates, such as gorillas and chimpanzees. Winston was one of these gorillas. The whole colony was funded and managed by Lucheng Interstellar.
The other apes banded together and rose up against the scientists, killing them and taking the facility for themselves. Included in the death toll was Winston's caretaker, Dr. Harold Winston. Winston didn't want to be involved with it and built himself a rocket and escaped the colony to Earth.
Long after the uprising, Lucheng Interstellar revealed that the monitoring systems are still active, and released some data recovered from before it went offline.
- The telescope in the attacking spawn room can be interacted with. Doing so shows a view of the Iberian peninsula with 'potential landing sites' and Watchpoint: Gibraltar marked. Using the telescope also prompts a line from most heroes.
- The observatory also has a large floor button which opens the observatory doors when a player stands on it.
- The second attacking spawn room has the space suits of all the scientists stationed there: Zhang, Winston, Azzarelli, Nevsky, Yoshida, Patel, Onyango, Flores, and Khouri. Winston's suit is missing. All remaining suits are marked with the Lucheng Interstellar logo.
- Winston's room can be accessed near the training facility.
- Screens in the Hydroponics lab reference Arabidopsis, the first genus of plant ever grown in space.
- Some screens in the Hydroponics lab show conversations between the scientists:
- Patel 8:50PM
- Can someone check the noise in the break room? It's past bedtime...
- Nevsky 9:12PM
- It was Simon and Hypatia causing trouble. I tell you, Simon has been an absolute handfull lately. I mean, more than usual. I'm confining him to his room and we can figure out what to do with him in the morning.
- Winston 2:19PM
- All hands report to Airlock E-35
- Zhang 2:20PM
- What happened? Are you ok...
- Winston 2:22PM
- I need help at Airlock E-35 immediately. Emergency malfunction with the airlock, need everyone to come at once, situation is critical. This is not a drill.
- There is also an activity log open showing a few emails:
- Nevsky - Concerns about Simon's behavior
- Yoshida - Missing tools - please return them
- Flores - Strange noises in ventilation system
- Horizon Lunar Colony was originally revealed on May 31, 2017. It was put onto the Public Test Region on the same day.
|Maps in Overwatch|
|Assault||Hanamura (Winter) •• Horizon Lunar Colony •• Temple of Anubis •• Volskaya Industries|
|Escort||Dorado •• Junkertown •• Rialto •• Route 66 •• Watchpoint: Gibraltar|
|Assault/Escort||Blizzard World •• Eichenwalde (Halloween) •• Hollywood (Halloween) •• King's Row (Winter) •• Numbani|
|Control||Ilios •• Lijiang Tower (Lunar) •• Nepal •• Oasis|
|Arcade||Arena||Black Forest (Winter) •• Castillo •• Ecopoint: Antarctica (Winter) •• Necropolis|
|CtF||Ayutthaya •• Ilios Lighthouse | Well | Ruins •• Lijiang Night Market | Garden | Control Center •• Nepal Village | Shrine | Sanctum •• Oasis City Center | Gardens | University|
|Event||Lúcioball||Estádio das Rãs •• Sydney Harbour Arena|
|Other||Adlersbrunn •• Lijiang Tower (CtR) •• King's Row (Uprising)|
|Italics are upcoming maps.|