Constructed from the remains of a destroyed omnium, Junkertown is now the home to a band of lawless scavengers known as the Junkers, led by their cutthroat Queen. When they aren’t pillaging the omnium's skeleton for anything of value, the Junkers blow off steam in the Scrapyard—a massive gladiatorial arena whose combatants fight for glory, riches...and to survive.
After the Omnic Crisis, the Australian government hoped to restore peace with the omnics by granting them a large area of land surrounding the Australian omnium. In doing so, many residents of the outback were displaced, and some of them, including Roadhog, formed a group of rebels they called the Australian Liberation Front. The ALF eventually managed to sabotage the omnium's fusion core, which blew up the omnium, irradiated the area, and scattered scrap metal across the outback.
Survivors would go on to build Junkertown in the ruins of the destroyed omnium. The town's residents, called Junkers, make a living scavenging parts from the omnium's skeleton. In the center of town is a gladiatorial arena called the Scrapyard where the Queen of Junkertown oversees mech battles.one of them being Wrecking Ball
Among the scavengers was Junkrat, who found an incredibly valuable treasure in the omnium's ruins. He became the target of bounty hunters and hitmen throughout the city, so he hired Roadhog as his bodyguard. The two were eventually kicked out of Junkertown for the chaos they caused.
In Junkertown: The Plan, Junkrat and Roadhog returned with a mass of gold and cash amassed from their heists around the world. They had made a plan to hide explosives in the gold and use it to kill the Queen, but they were unable to get into the town.
- There are two pressure plates in the first attacking spawn room. If both are stood on simultaneously, a secret door is opened, behind which is a few safes and some gold.
- If shot or meleed from the right angle, the stuffed pachimari on the payload will jump in the air.
- Before Wrecking Ball was released as Hero 28, a poster in the Scrapyard showed him
- Junkertown was revealed on August 21, 2017 at Gamescom, alongside Junkertown: The Plan. It was added to the Public Test Region on August 29.
- The take-away sign in the middle area said "take-out" when Junkertown was first revealed. Australian fans were quick to correct this difference between American and Australian dialects.
- Throughout the map are posters that advertise a fight between Bludger and Kelvin 506. The two mechs can be found in the defender's second spawn room.
- The first attacker's spawn room appears to be Roadhog's house, due to the motorcycle, the machine holding containers of hogdrogen, and its position outside of Junkertown.
- ↑ r/Overwatch: "Take-out" sign on Junkertown uses what is generally an American term rather than "take-away"
|Maps in Overwatch|
|Assault||Hanamura (Winter) •• Horizon Lunar Colony •• Temple of Anubis •• Volskaya Industries|
|Escort||Dorado •• Junkertown •• Rialto •• Route 66 •• Watchpoint: Gibraltar|
|Assault/Escort||Blizzard World •• Eichenwalde (Halloween) •• Hollywood (Halloween) •• King's Row (Winter) •• Numbani|
|Control||Ilios •• Lijiang Tower (Lunar) •• Nepal •• Oasis|
|Arcade||Arena||Black Forest (Winter) •• Castillo •• Ecopoint: Antarctica (Winter) •• Necropolis|
|CtF||Ayutthaya •• Ilios Lighthouse | Well | Ruins •• Lijiang Night Market | Garden | Control Center •• Nepal Village | Shrine | Sanctum •• Oasis City Center | Gardens | University|
|Deathmatch||Château Guillard •• Petra|
|Event||Lúcioball||Estádio das Rãs •• Sydney Harbour Arena •• Busan Stadium|
|Other||Adlersbrunn •• Lijiang Tower (CtR) •• King's Row (Uprising) •• Rialto (Retribution)|