Mei’s weather-altering devices slow opponents and protect locations. Her unleashes damaging icicles and frost streams, and she can herself to guard against counterattacks, or obstruct the opposing team's movements with an .
Mei is a scientist who has taken the fight to preserve the environment into her own hands.
Though many blamed the planet's escalating, unexplained climate phenomena on the advent of new technologies, the rapidly growing omnic population, and drastically increased consumption of resources, the true cause remained unknown. To find a solution, Overwatch established a series of eco-Watchpoints at remote, critical locations worldwide.
Mei-Ling Zhou was a member of this multiyear initiative. A peerless climatologist, she had introduced cutting-edge innovations in the field of climate manipulation that protected at-risk areas in Asia and beyond. She was assigned to the program's monitoring station at Watchpoint: Antarctica when disaster struck: a sudden, catastrophic polar storm battered the installation and cut it off from the outside world, leaving the facility damaged and the scientists stranded. As their supplies dwindled, they entered cryostasis in a last-ditch effort to survive until a rescue attempt could be made.
But that rescue never came. It was years later when the team's cryogenics chamber was finally discovered. Mei, still in hibernation, was the only survivor. The world Mei awoke to had gone through considerable changes: Overwatch was no more, the serious climate issues had worsened, and none of the eco-Watchpoints were in operation. Any clues that they had uncovered were lost.
Mei has decided to continue her work on her own. Equipped with a portable version of her climate-manipulation technology, she travels around the world, hoping to re-establish the eco-network and track down the causes of the threats to the planet's ecosystem.
Beside these abilities, Mei is able to jump, crouch, reload (only when her ammo is not full), and perform Quick Melee.
- All seasonal event items, which are marked with special event icons ( • • • • ), are only available to be unlocked either through the respective Loot Boxes or by Credits within the event's duration.
- a This emote after activating will remain in its animation until the player inputs other actions to interrupt it.
Victory Poses Edit
|Hands On Hips|
Voice Lines Edit
- Chill Out! ("Hey! Chill out!")
- Fight For Our World (" ")
- Hang In There (default)
- Learned Your Lesson ("I hope you learned your lesson.")
- Ouch, Are You Okay?
- Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry ("Sorry! Sorry! I'm sorry... sorry!")
- That Was Great ("Haha, that was great!")
- You Have To Let It Goa
- Overcome All Obstacles ()
- Scary! (, 75)
- I Got You Something! (, 75)
- Wishing You Prosperity (, 75, " ")
- Science This (, 75, "I'm going to have to science the heck out of this!")
- Scientific Explanation (, 75, "I'm sure there's a reasonable scientific explanation for this.")
- a When equipping the skin Mei-rry and this voice line, Mei will say "You have to let it snow" instead.
- For Mei-specific sprays, see Mei/Sprays.
Highlight Intros Edit
Mei-Ling Zhou was an innovative member of Overwatch's ecological studies whose technology was used around Asia for climate preservation. She was assigned to work with other scientists at Watchpoint: Antarctica when a polar storm cut off their communications and left them stranded. They entered cryostasis to survive until a rescue mission was made. It had been approximately a decade by the time they were found. Mei was the only survivor, and Overwatch had been disbanded.
Mei appeared to have met Winston before or after her decade-long trip to Watchpoint: Antarctica. Winston also recommended that Mei keep a journal of her travels. After the rescue, Mei had traveled to remote regions around the world, investigating Overwatch's abandoned Eco-watchpoints. On her trip, she went to Mount Logan, Canada to test her technology, took a quick stop in Los Angeles on Halloween, then went to Nepal for an unknown project. At some point, Mei saved a nest of endangered arctic wildlife from a collapsing glacier. She was also often accompanied by her assistant drone: Snowball.
Mei is very kindhearted and positive, showing compassion for others and having a desire to preserve Earth's ecosystem for generations to come. As a scientist, she is willing to learn new things and is even inspired by Tracer as well as Winston. She also hates bullies, as shown by one of her quotes and an interaction with Junkrat.
At times, Mei appears to be slightly bashful. She is also very apologetic, often saying "Sorry!" when defeating enemies.
- Mei slows and freezes enemies, making them vulnerable to attack.
- Mei's ice theme is purely cosmetic: she does not give or receive greater damage from fire-related weapons.
- Mei has an incredible knack for 1v1 duels and frequently will have the upper hand in that situation.
- The end of Mei's Cryo-Freeze is signaled by the sound of cracking ice. However, there is no special sound other than a brief crack if Mei ends the Cryo-Freeze early. Use this to Mei's advantage, as enemies may be caught off guard.
- Mei in Cryo-Freeze can negate certain abilities such as McCree's and D.Va's , making it good as an impromptu shield for allies. However, it cannot negate abilities like Hanzo's or Reinhardt's .
- Ice Wall
- Try placing the wall at a precise position so as to effectively block abilities that deal high amounts of damage.
- Ice wall has many uses beyond stopping attacks and movement:
- Placing it in front of Torbjörn's effectively disables it (as it obstructs its laser guidance) for as long as the ice wall stays up.
- The ice wall can also be used for Mei and her team's movement, as it can be placed under her or others to get them to higher places they normally couldn't get to.
- Players can toggle between perpendicular and parallel placement of ice wall by pressing the ice wall button again.
- The ice wall can be used to stop a weak enemy from running away or falling back, or can be used by Mei as a defense mechanism for running away and blocking her opponent's path as she escapes.
- The ice wall can have its individual columns broken if they receive too much damage, so be wary and prepared for if the enemy breaks it apart.
- The Ice Wall cannot obstruct or delay the payload. The payload instantly destroys any deployed object it hits when moving.
- Mei can free herself from Junkrat's by placing an Ice Wall directly underneath herself.
- Use the Blizzard ultimate on map objectives to freeze enemy defenders.
- Although the drone that produces the Blizzard field is visible, shooting it has no effect.
- Mei is significantly hindered when fighting groups. Mei will struggle to focus down one player to freeze when she is attacked from multiple angles. If Mei is giving trouble, force her into a group fight to make her far less effective.
- A strong Roadhog or Reaper (anybody with a shotgun spread) can hook in Mei and eliminate her easily.
- If she instantly goes into Cryo-Freeze, wait for her to break out.
- Since Mei lacks range (though her Icicle is fairly accurate), Widowmaker or Hanzo can snipe her easily.
- While Mei can defend herself if caught in a steel trap, Junkrat is surprisingly a strong counter, as his has a long range and his can propel both players into the air.
- Pharah can counter Mei very well with her long range and set of rockets, though Mei's Ice Wall and Cryo-Freeze can defend against them.
- Sombra's Hack has a longer range than Mei's Endothermic Blaster's primary fire, and will severely cripple Mei, as she tends to be very reliant on her abilities.
- Tracer can to reset the freeze timer, making her difficult to pin down for an easy critical hit.
- Mei was announced on November 6, 2015, alongside D.Va and Genji. She was added to the Closed Beta three days later on November 9. Before that, she was teased in an in-universe story, Mei's Adventures.
- Mei started as a character called 'Frostbite' and drew inspiration from ice carving festivals in northern China.
- Mei was originally meant to be something like a bounty hunter, but a piece of concept art by Arnold Tsang steered her character towards being more of a normal person.
- It is an ongoing theme that every game by Blizzard has at least one character with an ability named Blizzard. In this case, it's Mei.
- Mei's listed age (31) refers to her biological age. Since she was frozen for a decade, her chronological age would be about 41.
Cultural References Edit
- Her Voice Line "You have to let it go!" and random line "Do you want to build a snowman? are references to the 2013 Disney film Frozen.
- The movie Frozen and the line "Let it go" were mentioned multiple times in the Overwatch Visual Source Book as a joke between the developers.
- Mei's Voice Line "You have to let it go" is changed to "You have to let it snow" when the Winter Wonderland-exclusive Mei-rry skin is equipped. This is a reference to the popular Holiday song, Let it Snow.
- Mei will quote two lines from a poem A Song of White Snow in Farewell to Secretary Wu Going Home by Cen Shen, a Tang Dynasty poet, at the spawn of any snowy map such as Volskaya Industries or Nepal. The two lines are: .
- Some of her skills may be a reference to Blizzard's Warcraft franchise. Cryo-Freeze seems to be a reference to Ice Block, an ability the mage class can use for exactly the same purpose (only it lasts 10 seconds in that game). Additionally, Frost Bolt, one of Jaina's mage abilities in Heroes of the Storm, is remarkably similar to Ice Spike.
Patch changes Edit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Micheal Chu forum response
- ↑ Abominable and Yeti Hunter skin's lore information
- ↑ 小美的冒险日记 (Mei's Adventures)
- ↑ Overwatch is Back: Uncertainty and Hope After UN Confirms Vigilante Activity
- ↑ Reflections
- ↑ BlizzCon 2015 Overwatch Panel
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 From the Blizzard offices
- ↑ Snowman line
- ↑ A Song of White Snow in Farewell to Secretary Wu Going Home
|General||Main • Quotes • Gallery • Skins and Weapons • Sprays|
|Abilities||Endothermic Blaster • Ice Wall • Cryo-Freeze • Blizzard|
|Heroes in Overwatch|