A guardian angel to those who come under her care, Dr. Angela Ziegler is a peerless healer, a brilliant scientist, and a staunch advocate for peace.
Ziegler rose to become the head of surgery at a prominent Swiss hospital before pioneering a breakthrough in the field of applied nanobiology that radically improved the treatment of life-threatening illnesses and injuries. It was this expertise that attracted the attention of Overwatch.
Because her parents had been taken by war, Ziegler was opposed to the organization's militaristic approach to keeping global peace. Ultimately, she recognized that Overwatch offered her the opportunity to save lives on a much larger scale. As Overwatch's head of medical research, Angela sought to leverage her work for healing in frontline crises. The result was the Valkyrie swift-response suit, which Ziegler herself piloted on many Overwatch missions.
Despite her contributions to Overwatch, she was often at odds with her superiors and the organization's overarching aims. When Overwatch dissolved, Ziegler dedicated herself to helping those affected by war.
Though she spends most of her time caring for the broken and dispossessed in crisis areas around the world, Dr. Ziegler can be counted on to don her Valkyrie suit whenever innocents are imperiled.
In addition to these abilities, Mercy will passively heal herself for 20 health per second if she does not take damage for 1 second. Furthermore, Mercy is able to jump, crouch, reload her Caduceus Blaster (only when her ammo is not full), and perform Quick Melee while using her Caduceus Staff and Caduceus Blaster.
- All seasonal event items, which are marked with special event icons ( • • • • ), are only available to be unlocked either through the respective Loot Boxes or by Credits within the event's duration.
|Combat Medic Ziegler|
|The Best Medicine|
- a This emote after activating will remain in its animation until the player inputs other actions to interrupt it.
|Ready For Battle|
- Consultation Fee ("I'll send you my consultation fee.")
- Doctor's Orders
- How Barbaric
- I Have My Eye On You (default)
- Miracle Worker ("I'm not a miracle worker. Well, not always.")
- Need A Second Opinion?
- On A Scale Of 1-10 ("On a scale of one to ten, how is your pain?)
- Super! (" !")
- Take Two ("Take two and call me in the morning.")
- The Doctor Is In
- The Doctor Will See You (" .")
- Piece Of Cake ()
- Superstition (, 75, "Pheh... superstition.")
- Your Guardian Angel (, 75)
- A Most Impressive Display (, 75)
- Not Sure Why I Bother (, 75, "Sometimes I'm not sure why I even bother.")
- Take Care Of Yourself (, 75, "You really should take better care of yourself.")
- For Mercy-specific sprays, see Mercy/Sprays.
Highlight Intros Edit
|Heroes Never Die|
|Golden (Caduceus Staff)||Golden (Caduceus Blaster)|
Angela Ziegler had been a prodigy in medical science since she was young. At the age of 17, when she was attending her university, she came to visit Overwatch and took a photo with their prominent agents. After that, she finished her education, including her MD and PHD in Switzerland in a shorter amount of time. Angela Ziegler continued her research and discovered new uses for applied nanobiology that made treating life-threatening illnesses or injuries significantly easier and more successful. She later rose to be the head of surgery at a prominent hospital in Zürich, Switzerland. This attracted the attention of Overwatch; they offered her a spot in their rank which she gladly joined.
When Dr. Angela Ziegler became Overwatch's head of medical research, she developed the Valkyrie swift-response suit so her technology could be taken to the battlefield. She donned the suit, and took the call sign of "Mercy" and became Overwatch's frontline medic. Later, she helped to save the life of Genji when he was nearly killed by Hanzo. She also collaborated with Torbjörn to design a prototype Biotic Rifle; she did it reluctantly, because she did not want her technology to be applied to a weapon.
After the Overwatch Swiss Headquarters was destroyed, Mercy attended a UN committee to explain how the relationship between Jack Morrison and Gabriel Reyes decayed and became violent. She kept her Valkyrie suit after Overwatch was disbanded and continues to use it to heal the sick and wounded. At the time of the Overwatch recall, Mercy was in Iraq.
Later, around Christmas time, Mercy is seen reading a letter while inside a hospital tent, presumably from Genji.
Hence her code name, Mercy is an adamant pacifist that always wishes to avoid violent approaches whenever possible. She is very kind and gentle, consistently caring for the well being of the sick and injured. She also loves peace and quiet, taking the time to treasure those moments before a match starts.
While she is devoted to Overwatch, Mercy opposes its militaristic methods when it comes to global crises. She also believes that it's best for it to be kept shutdown, according to her dialogue in Watchpoint: Gibraltar.
- Other than the blaster, most of Mercy's abilities don't involve engagement in a battle, thus she should always try to position herself away from the enemies' fire while giving herself a good distance and line of sight to properly aid her allies.
- Caduceus Staff
- The connection of the beam requires the line of sight from the beam, not Mercy herself. Thus, as long as the beam doesn't get interrupted by an obstacle, there's no need to look directly at the beamed ally.
- Thus, players should utilize that chance to look around for any other injured allies, favorable covers, or even potential flankers.
- When paired with a hero such as Bastion or a sniper who stays in one place, she can be particularly helpful by using her Caduceus Staff, giving them damage boost.
- Extra damage from Mercy's damage boost is calculated when the enemy receives damage from the damage-boosted ally, not when it is fired, or when said damage source is traveling midway.
- This opens up to a lot of interesting options of damage boost, as it can boost the damage caused by Hanzo's ultimate (both the arrow and the dragons), Widowmaker's , Mei's ultimate, and even D.Va's ultimate if Mercy damage boosts the respective character. It is, however, not applicable to Junkrat's or Torbjorn and Symmetra's turrets.
- Boosted damage does count as charging Mercy's ultimate, thus damage boosting ultimates can also yield a lot of charges to her, especially when boosting McCree or D.Va's ult, where her ult charge will spike (though damage to barriers will not charge her ult).
- Caduceus Blaster
- With its low damage potential, it should not be overused, though will aid Mercy greatly in close-quarter and mid-range combats. Damage falloff immunity and trailless bullets, however, means she can still use them to effectively take out Symmetra's turret or harass an unaware sniper without giving away too much of her position.
- As a last-resort type arsenal, the blaster is reliable for accuracy in close-quarter to mid-range combats, thus players should make headshots as much as they can to get a better chance at winning 1v1s.
- Never be afraid to pull out the blaster when in danger and unable to fly into safety with Guardian Angel, of if the latter solution poses more danger.
- Guardian Angel
- With extremely low cooldown and high movement speed, this ability should be used often as it is essential for Mercy to be agile, be it to effectively support an ally in need, retreat to a safer place, or to make herself a harder target to hit in general.
- Mercy also benefits greatly from the ability if the team is moderately scattered (whilst coordinated). Hanzo/Widowmaker, Pharah, and Reinhardt often perform best in different positions and Mercy can utilize all those positions when she needs to.
- If Mercy is falling off the map, using Guardian Angel on an ally standing near the edge (just in the line of sight) can save her from falling to her death.
- Mercy's Guardian Angel game options can give herself meta benefits:
- Guardian Angel prefers beam target: when beamed ally is out of sight, Mercy can still fly to them (given the beam still connects), hitting an obstacle in the process. This can be extremely useful if she needs to fly to another cover or prevent herself from accidentally flying straight into the fray of enemies.
- Toggle Guardian Angel: when turned on, she can fly to an ally with just one click, thus allowing her to focus more on the battle. However, when turned off, she needs to hold the button, and the game will make constant checks on whether she flies to an ally or not. This means that when Mercy's falling off the map and an ally was in her line of sight for one frame, that one frame can save her from death where sheer human reactions couldn't.
- Angelic Descent
- While it slows Mercy's rate of falling, giving a greater chance for her to be aware of surroundings, take note that it can make her an easier target to enemies while she's airborne.
- If she falls off the map, Angelic Descent gives her more time for another ally to appear in her line of sight as she flies to safety using Guardian Angel.
- While resurrect often has high value when a large amount of her team has been killed at once, the key is to find the right situation. Waiting too long for a specific moment can lead to her team never being resurrected when needed and using it too much can lead to not being able to resurrect when a large amount of her team dies because it is still charging.
- When making a resurrection, consider the following:
- Can the resurrection turn the tide of the battle? Regardless of a group or solo revive, her ultimate can turn a 4v5 battle into a 6v5 (for example), effectively outnumbering enemies and giving a greater chance to win.
- Is her team engaging in a battle? If the team is not fully committed or is not on the verge of being wiped, reviving may prove to be wasteful. Furthermore, if the killed ally is a Tracer, Genji, Soldier, or Lucio, they will return to the team much faster on their own.
- Who else still has ultimate? While this can apply to both teams, predicting which enemies still have ultimates is important, as they have the ability to ambush after her revival, giving her team little to no chance to prepare themselves for another destructive ultimate. On the other hand, if enemies have used most of their ults, revive could catch them by surprise, as they will have to face another wave of full-health opponents.
- Stay alive, even if it means abandoning an ally. If Mercy is dead, the resurrection will simply never happen when her team needs one. When she has her ultimate, she should try to play more defensively, and try to prepare herself a hiding spot if she hears an enemy ultimate.
- Mercy is the only hero whose voice actor did not remain the same.
- Besides Ana, Mercy is the only hero whose in-game voice line differs from her catchphrase on the official website. Her original catchphrase is "Heroes Never Die", which is her ultimate activation voice line. Her in-game catchphrase (activates when a player switches to Mercy) is "I'll be watching over you."
- Mercy's voice line "Piece of cake" was redubbed in the September 22, 2016, PTR update.
- In the Overwatch animated short Recall, Mercy is seen in her witch costume in a photograph with Torbjorn. This same picture can be seen in the attackers' first spawn point on Watchpoint: Gibraltar, as well as on the MV-261 Orca.
- Mercy Wings is a vanity item in Diablo III; the pair of wings are modeled after those of Mercy's Valkyrie suit.
Cultural references Edit
- On some of her skins, a logo is featured on the left shoulder of her suit that says "Primum non nocere", which is Latin for "First, do no harm". In modern culture, it is believed that this phrase is the first part of the Hippocratic Oath. But this is a misconception, for the phrase does not appear in the oath, although the oath does contain some part that has similar meaning. The exact phrase is believed to have originated with the 19th-century surgeon Thomas Inman.
- Mercy's primary and secondary weapons are actually named incorrectly. They reference the Caduceus, a mythological staff held by the Roman god Mercury, which has two coiled snakes. The Caduceus is often mistakenly used as a symbol of medicine. The similar looking Rod of Asclepius, which has one snake, is the correct symbol.
- Mercy's skins "Sigrún" and "Valkyrie" are a reference to the Norse mythological beings called Valkyries. Valkyries are female demigods who determine the fate of warriors in battle and escort their souls to the hall of the slain, Valhalla, in the afterlife.
- The "Sigrún" skin is also an homage to the Valkyrie Sigrún.
- A lot of her voice lines, such as "On a scale of one to ten, how is your pain?" and "Need a second opinion?" are common tools or phrases used by medical practitioners.
- ↑ The photograph in Ana Origin Story was taken 20 years ago.
- ↑ Michael Chu's talk in GDC 2017
- ↑ Micheal Chu about Mercy in forum
- ↑ Eidgenossin skin's lore information
- ↑ Ana's Merciful skin's lore information
- ↑ Reflections
- ↑ Voice line's change
|General||Main • Quotes • Gallery • Skins and Weapons • Sprays|
|Abilities||Caduceus Staff • Caduceus Blaster • Guardian Angel • Angelic Descent • Resurrect|
|Character relationships||Genji Shimada • Gabriel Reyes|
|Others||Biotic Field • Biotic Rifle • Biotic Grenade|
|Media||Animated Shorts||We Are Overwatch||-|
|Heroes in Overwatch|