A guardian angel to those who come under her care, Dr. Angela Ziegler is a peerless healer, a brilliant scientist, and a staunch advocate for peace.
Ziegler rose to become the head of surgery at a prominent Swiss hospital before pioneering a breakthrough in the field of applied nanobiology that radically improved the treatment of life-threatening illnesses and injuries. It was this expertise that attracted the attention of Overwatch.
Because her parents had been taken by war, Ziegler was opposed to the organization's militaristic approach to keeping global peace. Ultimately, she recognized that Overwatch offered her the opportunity to save lives on a much larger scale. As Overwatch's head of medical research, Angela sought to leverage her work for healing in frontline crises. The result was the Valkyrie swift-response suit, which Ziegler herself piloted on many Overwatch missions.
Despite her contributions to Overwatch, she was often at odds with her superiors and the organization's overarching aims. When Overwatch dissolved, Ziegler dedicated herself to helping those affected by war.
Though she spends most of her time caring for the broken and dispossessed in crisis areas around the world, Dr. Ziegler can be counted on to don her Valkyrie suit whenever innocents are imperiled.
In addition to these abilities, Mercy will passively heal herself for 20 health per second if she does not take damage for 1 second. Furthermore, Mercy is able to jump, crouch, reload her Caduceus Blaster (only when her ammo is not full), and perform Quick Melee while using her Caduceus Staff and Caduceus Blaster.
- All seasonal event items, which are marked with special event icons ( • • • ), are only available to be unlocked either through the respective Loot Boxes or by Credits within the event's duration.
|The Best Medicine|
- a This emote after activating will remain in its animation until the player inputs other actions to interrupt it.
|Ready For Battle|
- Consultation Fee ("I'll send you my consultation fee.")
- Doctor's Orders
- How Barbaric
- I Have My Eye On You (default)
- Miracle Worker ("I'm not a miracle worker. Well, not always.")
- Need A Second Opinion?
- On A Scale Of 1-10 ("On a scale of one to ten, how is your pain?)
- Super! (" !")
- Take Two ("Take two and call me in the morning.")
- The Doctor Is In
- The Doctor Will See You (" .")
- Piece Of Cake ()
- Superstition (, 75, "Pheh... superstition.")
- Your Guardian Angel (, 75)
- A Most Impressive Display (, 75)
- For Mercy-specific sprays, see Mercy/Sprays.
Highlight Intros Edit
|Heroes Never Die|
|Golden (Caduceus Staff)||Golden (Caduceus Blaster)|
As the head of a prominent hospital in Zürich, Switzerland, Dr. Angela Ziegler discovered new uses for applied nanobiology that made treating life-threatening illnesses or injuries significantly easier and more successful. At that time, she was not even 17 yet, making her a prodigy in medical science. This attracted the attention of Overwatch, which she gladly joined.
When Mercy became Overwatch's head of medical research, she developed the Valkyrie swift-response suit so her technology could be taken to the battlefield. Using it, she helped to save the life of Genji when he was nearly killed by Hanzo. She also collaborated with Torbjörn to design a prototype Biotic Rifle.
After the Overwatch Swiss Headquarters was destroyed, Mercy attended a UN committee to explain how the relationship between Jack Morrison and Gabriel Reyes decayed and became violent. She kept her Valkyrie suit after Overwatch was disbanded and continues to use it to heal the sick and wounded.
At the time of the Overwatch Recall, Mercy was in Iraq.
In Reflections, Mercy is seen reading a letter while inside a hospital tent, presumably from Genji.
Hence her code name, Mercy is an adamant pacifist that always wishes to avoid violent approaches whenever possible. She is very kind and gentle, consistently caring for the well being of the sick and injured. She also loves peace and quiet, taking the time to treasure those moments before a match starts.
While she is devoted to Overwatch, Mercy opposes its militaristic methods when it comes to global crises. She also believes that it's best for it to be kept shutdown, according to her dialogue in Watchpoint: Gibraltar.
- When paired with a hero such as Bastion or Widowmaker who stay in one place, she can be particularly helpful by using her Caduceus Staff, giving them damage boost.
- Extra Damage from Mercy's damage boost is calculated when a projectile reaches its target, not when it is fired.
- Use resurrect only when a large amount of your team has been killed at once, so after an ultimate or similar situation. The key is to find the right situation; waiting too long for a specific moment can lead to your team never being resurrected when needed and using it too much can lead to not being able to resurrect when a large amount of your team dies because it is still charging.
- Mercy can target Guardian Angel towards a flying Pharah, effectively enables herself flying together. Due to Pharah's high damage output, this trick might be useful to keep tracking Mercy's beam on her.
- Mercy is the only character in Overwatch whose voice actor did not remain the same.
- In the Summer Games, Mercy's signature sport is badminton.
- Besides Ana, Mercy is the only hero whose in-game voice line differs from her catchphrase on the official website. Her original catchphrase is "Heroes Never Die", which is her ultimate activation voice line. Her in-game catchphrase (Activates when a player switches to Mercy) is "I'll be watching over you."
- Mercy's voice line "Piece of cake" was redubbed in the September 22, 2016, PTR update.
- In the Overwatch animated short "Recall", Mercy is seen in her witch costume, in a photograph with Torbjorn.
- Mercy Wings is a vanity item of Diablo III, the pair of wings are modeled after those of Mercy's Valkyrie suit.
Cultural references Edit
- On some of her skins, a logo is featured on the left shoulder of her suit that says "Primum non nocere", which is Latin for "First, do no harm". In modern culture, it is believed that this phrase is the first part of the Hippocratic Oath. But this is a misconception, for the phrase does not appear in the oath, although the oath does contain some part that has similar meaning. The exact phrase is believed to have originated with the 19th-century surgeon Thomas Inman.
- Mercy's primary and secondary weapons are actually named incorrectly. They reference the Caduceus, a mythological staff held by the Roman god Mercury, which has two coiled snakes. The Caduceus is often mistakenly used as a symbol of medicine. The similar looking Rod of Asclepius, which has one snake, is the correct symbol.
- Mercy's skins "Sigrún" and "Valkyrie" are a reference to the Norse mythological beings called Valkyries. Valkyries are female demigods who determine the fate of warriors in battle and escort their souls to the hall of the slain, Valhalla, in the afterlife.
- The "Sigrún" skin is also an homage to the Valkyrie Sigrún.
- A lot of her voice lines, such as "On a scale of one to ten, how is your pain?" and "Need a second opinion?" are common tools or phrases used by medical practitioners.
|General||Main • Quotes • Gallery • Skins and Weapons • Sprays|
|Abilities||Caduceus Staff • Caduceus Blaster • Guardian Angel • Angelic Descent • Resurrect|
|Character relationships||Genji Shimada • Gabriel Reyes|
|Others||Biotic Field • Biotic Rifle • Biotic Grenade|
|Media||Animated Shorts||We Are Overwatch||-|
|Heroes in Overwatch|