Reinhardt Wilhelm styles himself as a champion of a bygone age, who lives by the knightly codes of valor, justice, and courage.
Over thirty years ago, Overwatch was founded to counter the threat of the robot uprisings around the world. Reinhardt, a highly decorated German soldier, was inducted as part of the original Overwatch strike team that put an end to the Omnic Crisis. After the conflict's resolution, Overwatch grew into a global institution, keeping the peace in a war-torn world. Reinhardt proved himself to be one of its most stalwart champions.
Reinhardt's unique ethics and larger-than-life persona earned the admiration of his peers and superiors alike. Never afraid to speak his mind, he was Overwatch's most vocal supporter and, when necessary, its harshest critic, providing a constant reminder that Overwatch was meant to be a force for good.
Having served into his late fifties, Reinhardt was faced with mandatory retirement from combat operations. Despondent about being removed from active duty, Reinhardt feared that his days of purpose and glory had ended. As times grew darker and Overwatch came under suspicion of corruption and sedition, Reinhardt could only watch as the cause he had dedicated his life to defending surrendered in disgrace.
Though Overwatch was eventually disbanded, Reinhardt was not content to sit idly by while the world fell to disorder. Once again donning his Crusader armor, he has vowed to fight for justice across Europe like a knight of old, defending the innocent and winning hearts and minds with the promise of better days to come.
Besides these abilities, Reinhardt is able to jump and crouch. Reinhardt cannot reload or perform Quick Melee under any circumstance, for his only weapon is a melee weapon.
- All seasonal event items, which are marked with special event icons ( • • • ), are only available to be unlocked either through the respective Loot Boxes or by Credits within the event's duration.
- a This emote after activating will remain in its animation until the player inputs other actions to interrupt it.
- Are You Afraid? ("Are you afraid to fight me?")
- Bring Me Another
- Catch Phrase!
- Crusader Online
- Crushing Machine ("Hahahahaha, I'm the ultimate crushing machine.")
- German Engineering ("Precision German engineering.")
- Honor And Glory
- I Salute You (default)
- Respect Your Elders
- Show You How It's Done ("Let me show you how it's done.")
- This Old Dog ("This old dog still knows a few tricks.")
- 100% German Power ()
- Smashing (, 75)
- You're On My Naughty List (, 75)
- Are You Chicken? (, 75)
- For Reinhardt-specific sprays, see Reinhardt/Sprays.
|More Stretching Required|
Reinhardt Wilhelm was a highly decorated German soldier when the Omnic Crisis began. He was chosen as part of the original Overwatch strike team, alongside Jack Morrison, Gabriel Reyes, Torbjörn Lindholm, Ana Amari, and Liao. Wearing his J08 Crusader Armor, he was one of the team's strongest soldiers and most passionate supporters.
Reinhardt was forced to retire before Overwatch collapsed, as he was in his late fifties and his Crusader Armor had fallen into disuse. Regardless, he kept the armor and began traveling Europe with Brigitte.
In Dragon Slayer, Reinhardt and Brigitte stopped in a small town that had been taken over by The Dragons. Brigitte helped to repair the Crusader Armor, and Reinhardt used it to drive the gang out of the village.
At the time of the Overwatch Recall, Reinhardt was in Nuuk, Greenland.
Possessing a jolly and outgoing disposition, Reinhardt is a rather imaginative juggernaut, always wanting to bring hope and ambition towards the people. He lives by a code of valor and justice, much like the crusaders of medieval history. Although he is at an old age, he never wants to admit it and vows to fight until his last breath, according to his interactions with Mercy. He also really cares about his comrades of Overwatch and will, quite literally, take a bullet (or several) for his friends if he must. His care can be shown by his anger when watching Torbjörn die in a match as well as what he had to say at his former commander Jack Morrison's funeral: "He devoted everything he was to Overwatch. He was our moral compass. Our inspiration. Our friend."
While outside of battle, Reinhardt has multiple different hobbies that he enjoys doing. He seems to show concerns about his appearance such as his tan and hairstyle, as shown by his voice lines when in Watchpoint: Gibraltar and interacting with Pharah. His favorite food is currywurst, and he loves listening to "classic" music, such as the works of David Hasselhoff.
Reinhardt is also assumed to be a fan of D.Va, as specified when he asks her for an autograph.
- His barrier field can cover a large width and soaks up massive damage, making it invaluable for an entire team to duck behind. Reinhardt can also move with it active albeit at a decreased speed.
- Even when his barrier has very low health remaining, it will still absorb all damage from any single hit, even if that hit deals more damage than the barrier's remaining health. For example, Reinhardt can use his barrier to protect himself and his teammates from D.Va's Self-Destruct, even if the barrier only has 1 health remaining.
- Be sure not to jump while the barrier is up, as any attacks can go under it, including an opposing Reinhardt's Earthshatter (which it normally blocks).
- Reinhardt's shield regenerates health when it is put away, even if the player is under attack. Be sure to put away the shield when you can to regenerate it - your shield has a separate health pool that cannot be restored by healing or health packs.
- Reinhardt's Barrier Field can turn games, as slowly advancing forward with your team standing behind it, can make for a team push that allows for slow and constant pressure against the enemy, allowing Reinhardt and his team to advance to positions, such as the payload or capture point.
- Reinhardt is a character based on team play and communication, meaning, if you are good, Reinhardt is rarely a bad choice.
- Tracer can pass through Reinhardt's barrier using Blink or Recall.
- Sombra, if positioned well (or if she uses EMP), can Hack Reinhardt so that he both drops his shield and cannot reuse it for the duration of the debuff, making him and his team much more vulnerable.
- Junkrat's RIP-Tire can pass through the barrier, and his bombs can be launched over it.
- Bastion in Sentry form is able to destroy Reinhardt's barrier very quickly, leaving him vulnerable to all other attacks.
- Genji's Deflect can deflect Reinhardt's Fire Strike and Rocket Hammer swing, though he does not hit Reinhardt back with the hammer.
- An enemy Reinhardt can charge against the barrier. The enemy Reinhardt's ultimate, however, cannot go through the barrier.
- Attacks that can pass through Reinhardt's barrier:
- Reinhardt's Agent ID is 3945_47.
- "Reinhardt" comes from Old German, with a few possible interpretations: From "Regin-hard" "made strong/hard by the gods," "Rain-hard," "strong despite a rain of enemy fire," or "Regin-harti," strong/wise counsel. His name can also be read as a compound of old Germanic words "rain" (modern German "rein, wahr" - "pure, true") and "hart" ("Herz, hart" - "heart, hard"). The literal translation is "Pureheart", meaning honest and loyal.
- His Crusader Armor is powered by a biofeedback system that allows the user to exhibit superhuman strength.
- Reinhardt is currently the tallest character in the game, very closely followed by Roadhog.
- With all the known ages of the Overwatch cast, Reinhardt is the oldest.
- Reinhardt's "Balderich" and "Greifhardt" skin is based on his mentor's Crusader armor.
- The word "Greif" means "Griffin" in German, which is the theme for Balderich's armor.
- In the Summer Games, Reinhardt's signature sport is wrestling.
- The announcer in the Halloween Brawl Junkenstein's Revenge may be Reinhardt's voice. This is not confirmed.
- Reinhardt is also seen telling the story of Junkenstein's Monster in the Halloween comic.
Cultural References Edit
- Reinhardt's "Lionhardt" skin may be fashioned after the Alliance faction (especially the Alliance Crest) from Blizzard's Warcraft franchise.
- Lionhardt's name is also likely a reference to King Richard the Lionheart, well known as a crusader and included in the story of Robin Hood.
- Reinhardt's "Blackhardt" skin is likely a reference to the Lazengann from the anime "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann".
- The Blackhardt/Bloodhardt skins bear similarities to Fiends from Warcraft.
|General||Main • Quotes • Gallery • Skins and Weapons • Sprays|
|Abilities||Rocket Hammer • Barrier Field • Fire Strike • Charge • Earthshatter|
|Lore||Organizations||Overwatch • Crusaders • J08|
|Character relationships||Balderich von Adler • Brigitte|
|Media||Articles||Overwatch is Back|
|Comic Shorts||Dragon Slayer|
|Animated Shorts||We Are Overwatch|
|Heroes in Overwatch|