| "Let me show you how it's done."|
This article has been semi-protected! Reason: Excessive vandalism.
Roadhog is a ruthless killer with a well-earned reputation for cruelty and wanton destruction.
After the Omnic Crisis, government officials gifted the Australian omnium and the surrounding area to the omnics that had nearly destroyed their country, hoping to establish a long-term peace accord. This arrangement permanently displaced Mako Rutledge and a large number of the Outback's residents, a scattered collection of survivalists, solar farmers, and people who just wanted to be left alone.
Furious over the loss of their homes, Mako and the others turned to violent rebellion. They formed the Australian Liberation Front and struck against the omnium and its robot population to take back the lands that had been stolen. Events continued to escalate until the rebels sabotaged the omnium's fusion core, resulting in an explosion that destroyed the facility, irradiated the region, and littered the Outback with twisted metal and wreckage for kilometers around.
Mako watched as his home became an apocalyptic wasteland, and he was forever changed.
Adapting to his environment, he donned a mask and took to the broken highways of the Outback on his ramshackle chopper. Little by little, his humanity was forgotten. The last vestiges of Mako faded away and the ruthless killer Roadhog was born.
Beside these abilities, Roadhog is able to jump, crouch, reload (only when his ammo is not full), and perform Quick Melee.
- All seasonal event items, which are marked with special event icons ( • • • ), are only available to be unlocked either through the respective Loot Boxes or by Credits within the event's duration.
- a This emote after activating will remain in its animation until the player inputs other actions to interrupt it.
|Pointing To The Sky|
|What's Mine Is Mine|
- Candy From A Baby ("Like taking candy from a baby.")
- Got Something To Say?
- Hahaha! ("Bwahahahahahaa!")
- Hook, Line, And Sinker
- Life Is Pain, So Is Death ("Life is pain, so... is death, heeheeheeeheee...")
- Piece Of Cake
- Push Off
- Say "Bacon"... ("Say "bacon" one more time...")
- The Apocalypse (default, "Welcome to the apocalypse.")
- Violence Is The Answer ("Violence is usually the answer.")
- We're All Animals
- What's Mine Is Mine ()
- Want Some Candy? (, 75)
- Ho Ho Ho (, 75, "Ho ho ho ho ho.")
- You Chicken? (, 75)
- For Roadhog-specific sprays, see Roadhog/Sprays.
|Golden (Scrap Gun)||Golden (Chain Hook)|
Mako Rutledge was one of the residents of the Outback when its omnium and the surrounding area was gifted to the omnics. He and other Outback residents were displaced, and formed the Australian Liberation Front to take back the land. The rebelsfought the omnics until they sparked an explosion that irradiated the outback.
Mako adapted to the new environment by donning a mask and riding the broken highways on his chopper. He became an enforcer, and was eventually hired by Junkrat as a personal bodyguard in exchange for half of Junkrat's profits. Together, the two went on a crime spree around the world. Junkrat and Roadhog have stolen royal artifacts from King's Row, destroyed shops and trucks in Paris, robbed the arcade in Hanamura, and stolen most of the Bank of Dorado's gold in their crime spree.
Later, Junkrat and Roadhog made a deal with the CEO of Hyde Global in Sydney to rescue its workers from omnic terrorists. They found out that the 'terrorists' were actually Hyde Global drones, and that the CEO had set them up, so they hung him from the top story of his skyscraper before blowing it up.
Around Christmas time, Roadhog was seen escaping from another escapade with Junkrat in Luna Park, Australia.
Roadhog remains silent at most if not all the time, possibly due to his mask muffling his voice and the fact that he prefers not to speak and instead get things done. As his biography states, he is callous and sociopathic, showing no remorse to his victims and often laughing while on the battlefield.
In spite of his ruthless demeanor, Roadhog possesses traits that contradicts to his behavior. He is quite observative, and possess a quite logical mind. He also seems to care about his partner Junkrat, and is willing to protect him from causing too much trouble. This may mostly be due to splitting the spoils of their crime spree, as most of Roadhog's dialogue towards Junkrat is some variation of telling him to shut up. However, he usually agrees and follows Junkrat with his plan and antics, without much complain.
- Roadhog is a very sturdy tank that can take heavy damage and heal himself; however, he is the only tank that has no special ability to block damage (other than acting as a meat shield). Roadhog is a powerful character, but is less team-focused than the other tanks.
- While Roadhog taking damage and healing may protect his team, the enemy can use it to feed ultimate charge. Hits on Roadhog build Ultimate charge, but hits on shields do not. As such, Roadhog may be better played aggressively than as a protecting tank.
- Scrap Gun
- It requires practice to fire Roadhog's Scrap Gun at the correct time after a Hook to benefit most from the stun. In particular, Tracer's and McCree's - plus any close range character such as Reaper - can ruin Roadhog's day if fired too late.
- Headshots deal dramatically higher damage, which is an excellent pair with his shotgun spread. Keep this in mind when firing.
- Chain Hook
- Chain Hook interrupts the attacks of enemies.
- Bastion will be forced into recon mode if hooked, making Roadhog a powerful counter. It will not, however, force Bastion into recon if in Tank mode.
- After hooking someone, Roadhog can shoot the snared enemy with Scrap Gun's primary fire, then use Quick Melee on targets which survive the initial shot to ensure their death. This is best used against non-tanks.
- Holding down primary fire after hooking somebody will fire Roadhog's Scrap Gun the next moment possible.
- If Roadhog hooks someone while standing right in front of a bottomless pit (i.e., the Well in Ilios), they will fall to their death, provided they don't have a movement ability to prevent that.
- Roadhog can hook Junkrat's , with obvious and unpleasant consequences, although it may occasionally be useful for Roadhog to sacrifice himself to protect a more vulnerable team member. This can also be done with D.Va's mech while it is self-destructing.
- If Roadhog hooks an enemy while falling off the map, the enemy is pulled with him, resulting in certain death - although Pharah, Tracer, and D.Va can escape. It is unlikely useful to deliberately jump off the map to do this, but it can serve as a useful revenge tactic, especially against Lucio.
- Roadhog's Chain Hook can be useful for stopping Ultimates, including that of Pharah and other Roadhogs. It can also interrupt the process of completing an Ultimate, such as interrupting Lucio's by hooking him before he slams his into the ground or a Reinhardt before he slams the ground with .
- Whole Hog
- Roadhog's ultimate can deal extreme damage at point-blank range, but is also very hard to aim due to the spread. It is also greatly affected by range, dealing significantly less damage if shot from far away. It is best to use at mid-range on a group of enemies to knock them back.
- On top of that, Roadhog's movement speed is significantly reduced, making an easy target for snipers.
- Roadhog's large hitbox and short range makes him a target for Pharah and Widowmaker.
- Genji can Roadhog's Whole Hog projectiles. Though Deflect cannot deflect all of the projectiles, he can push Roadhog back.
- Roadhog was announced on September 22, 2015, alongside Junkrat. Before that, he was teased in two tweets from @PlayOverwatch on Twitter., as well as an in-universe video: A Moment in Crime Special Report: "The Junkers"
- Roadhog was seen on newspapers around multiple maps before he was revealed. He was also seen in concept art.
- Roadhog's original concept was as an irradiated mutant. Early concept art gave him an actual stitched-on pig's face rather than a mask.
- Given the shared history with fellow Australian Junkrat, Roadhog is likely a reference to the film franchise Mad Max.
- It is likely that Roadhog is of New Zealand Maori heritage due to his real name (Mako) and alternate skin titled "Toa", which is the Maori word for "Warrior".
- "Mako" is also the Maori word for "the shark" or "a shark tooth" which could explain Roadhog's shark-headed alternate skins.
- Mako is also a specific species of shark that has a very dark blue coloring, much like the "Mako" skin, and has a head much like the "helmet" on the "Mako" and "Sharkbait" skins.
- Roadhog's "Eyes" spray resembles the pigs from the Angry Birds franchise.
- When Roadhog pulls in an enemy with Chain Hook, he will sometimes yell out, "Come here!" which is a reference to the Mortal Kombat character, Scorpion. Scorpion is a character who possess a chain blade, and he uses it to pull an enemy from across the stage while yelling "Get over here!"
|General||Main • Quotes • Gallery • Skins and Weapons • Sprays|
|Abilities||Scrap Gun • Chain Hook • Take A Breather • Whole Hog|
|Lore||Organizations||Australian Liberation Front • Hyde Global|
|Others||Omnic Crisis • Omnium • Junkers|
|Media||Comic Shorts||Going Legit|
|Heroes in Overwatch|