Symmetra literally bends reality. By manipulating hard-light constructs, she crafts the world as she wishes it to be, in hopes of engineering a perfect society.
Following the Omnic Crisis, the Vishkar Corporation of southern India began the laborious process of creating new, self-sustaining cities to house the nation's displaced population. One such city, Utopaea, was created using radical hard-light technology that enabled its architechs to shape the city's streets, utilities, and living spaces in the blink of an eye.
After she was identified as one of the few capable of becoming a light-bending architech, young Satya Vaswani was plucked from extreme poverty and placed in the care of Vishkar's architech academy, never to return home. Isolated and lonely in her new life, Satya immersed herself in her education and training. She quickly grasped the applications of the technology and was one of the top students in her class. Satya approached hard-light manipulation differently than her peers, with their more procedural, mechanical constructions, instead weaving her constructs in the motions of the traditional dance of her homeland.
Though she was one of Utopaea's top architechs, the Vishkar Corporation saw far greater potential in Satya's abilities. Giving her the moniker "Symmetra," Vishkar sent her on clandestine missions around the world to uphold its corporate interests and expand its influence into other countries.
Symmetra believes her actions serve the greater good in society. But there are times when she wonders whether the control and order she desires are truly best for humanity.
Beside these abilities, Symmetra is able to jump, crouch, reload (only when her ammo is not full), and perform Quick Melee.
- All seasonal event items, which are marked with special event icons ( • • • • • ), are only available to be unlocked either through their respective Loot Boxes or by Credits within the event's duration. During the event, newly-introduced event items cost three times as much as non-event items of the same rarity, while returning seasonal items are unlocked at the regular price.
- a This emote, after activating, will remain in its animation until the player inputs other actions to interrupt it.
Voice Lines Edit
- For Symmetra-specific sprays, see Symmetra/Sprays.
One purchase of an alternate weapon skin will apply to the Photon Projector of all unlocked skins when equipping it.
Satya Vaswani was born to a very poor family in Hyderabad. She was identified as a potential future light-bending architech for the Vishkar Corporation, and was put into the company's architech academy in Utopaea. Though she could never return home, she became one of the top students in her class, using dance techniques for light-bending instead of more procedural motions.
Vishkar gave Satya a position as a clandestine agent under the name 'Symmetra'. She was sent on covert missions around the world to uphold the company's interests by sabotaging competitors and negotiating with contractors.
Satya Vaswani then was sent to Rio de Janeiro to negotiate a contract with its mayor. When she instead chose Calado's proposal, Symmetra infiltrated his tower, but was unable to find anything questionable. Sanjay Korpal opted to destroy the building instead, and Symmetra had to save people from its flaming wreckage. Vishkar's city center was completed months later. Vishkar Corporation put a strict control in order to exploit the workforce for their own benefit. Later, the news of the liberation of Rio de Janeiro by Lúcio Correia dos Santos's effort arrived to Symmetra.
Symmetra is obsessed with order, believing that it's the key for a perfect society. She also has an obsession for reality, claiming it to be her playground. She strives to make the world a better place, having a soft side for the innocent and hoping that Vishkar will succeed in improving things for the people. However, she sometimes doubts if her company actually does the right thing.
Symmetra prefers to work as a lone agent rather than in a group, possibly since she has spent most of her childhood alone. She also criticizes freedom, thinking of it as an illusion that harms more than helps, as shown by her conversations with Lúcio.
Symmetra is on the autism spectrum. It was implied in her words, which she stated it used to "bother her" when people would ask where she "fit on the spectrum". Furthermore she appears to have what could be described as obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, namely her preoccupation with "perfection", such as when she can't resist fixing a crooked picture or how she notices the perfection of a child's face.
- Symmetra is a builder like Torbjörn, but has some notable differences: Her turrets can quickly kill an enemy if many of them are close together, or restrict multiple pathways if they are spread out; she has significantly higher close-range prowess with little ranged prowess; and she is not very aim-reliant.
- Symmetra's main task is placing turrets at choke points to soften up enemies for her teammates, and supporting them with Photon Barrier if needed.
- Her Teleporter have a cooldown of 10 seconds and lasts for 8 seconds. With the cooldown starting the moment the teleporter is deployed, unless destroyed, the teleporter itself is only absent for 2 seconds.
- Photon Projector
- Her Photon Projector's damage does not immediately reset upon enemy death. Take advantage of this if there are additional enemies nearby for easy kill chains.
- As her Primary fire regenerates ammo on barriers, it also scales the damage, meaning once a barrier is destroyed, your damage will have scaled, take it as an opportunity to eliminate enemies even faster.
- Sentry Turret
- Her turrets slow the enemy down as well as damage them, meaning it is a good idea to place several on a choke point like Hollywood's Objective A defense.
- If placing several turrets in a single location, spread them apart in the area rather then putting them right next to each other, as they can be destroyed very easily if placed right next to each other.
- Try putting Sentry Turrets hidden around the main paths and entries (i.e. Lijiang Tower's gates and passages), hiding them in vegetation, furniture or blind spots.
- Her turrets exist even after she dies, meaning players have to take time to destroy them.
- The turrets have a decent reach, so you can put them in different places or far from each other, making them harder to destroy.
- If the turrets are firing, you'll see a "!" sign on your screen relative to their position, so you can use this to know where enemies are. This is very useful in the Capture the Flag mode. The same happens when your Teleporter is being attacked.
- With the way they can be deployed remotely, placing the turrets in high locations can help defend yourself against enemy Pharah.
- Photon Barrier
- Photon Barrier is useful for pushing towards an objective as a team. However, since it won't move, it requires some attention while behind it - the barrier can be bypassed by the enemy team, or be destroyed, it also lasts 12 seconds. If you are on a situation where advancing is not an option (for example, while defending a point), consider using Reinhardt or Orisa or saving the Photon Barrier to defend against an ultimate or a long-range barrage.
- Photon Barrier can be used to close in on an enemy while avoiding damage, then attacking with Photon Projector, or giving your team a breathing room to recover faster while keeping the enemy at bay with their attacks.
- You can use it to defend against enemy Ultimate abilities, such as D.Va's or Tracer's. Take note, however, the barrier takes a short moment to be deployed, so timing is the key.
- Her Photon Barrier is also quite useful to disrupt snipers, as if sent from a right angle, it will block the sniper in it's advantage point until the barrier is finaly gone from it's field of vision.
- Be sure to pay attention to the direction of the teleporter exit point -- it faces Symmetra as she places it, or in other words it's the opposite of her orientation when placing it.
- The "Huge Success" achievement can be earned by teleporting 20 times.
- Her teleporter requires the Interact key to be binded, however objects such as D.va's Ultimate and Symmetra's own turrets pass through the moment they come in contact and continue their trajectory towards the same direction.
- With this new feature, virtualy any ultimate can benefit from the Teleporter, including allies using their ultimates can still pass through.
- Sombra's disables Symmetra's Photon Shield but not her Photon Projector. Her removes the shields from her health and completely nullifies her Ultimate. This is useful primarily in the No Limits gamemode, as her Ultimate charges faster.
- Mei is a strong counter to Symmetra, as successfully freezing her not only renders her defenseless but also resets her Photon Projector's damage ramp.
- Winston can easily clear out Symmetra's turret nests and will usually win in a 1v1 fight if he has his barrier ready. His Tesla Cannon does not require aiming, so Symmetra cannot use any movement tactics to avoid damage.
- Like most characters, Symmetra has limited range and not much mobility, making her a easy target for snipers.
- Pharah can easily attack Symmetra and destroy her handyworks from the air.
- Reaper's large spread makes it easy to destroy multiple turrets at once.
- Symmetra has had the most abilities removed, with two (Photon Shield and Shield Generator), and is the only hero to have an ability added after their introduction into the game and then be removed in a later patch.
- Prior to her role reclassification, Symmetra was the only Support hero that was not a healer.
- Prior to the June 26, 2018 patch, Symmetra and D.Va were the only heroes in the game that have two ultimates. Unlike D.Va, however, Symmetra could choose which ultimate to use.
- After the June 26, 2018 patch went live, Symmetra was disabled in Competitive Play until July 10, two weeks later.
- Symmetra's Shield Generator increased its output on Custom Games where HP has been increased; meaning an ally (or Symmetra herself) who is at 500% HP would gain 375 Shield.
Cultural References Edit
- Symmetra's "Devi" and "Goddess" skins make her resemble Kali, a Hindu goddess representing Time, Change, Power, Creation, Preservation, and Destruction.
- "Devi" is the Sanskrit word for "goddess".
- Symmetra's design might be a reference to the Portal game series.
- Her weapon and armor resembles a portal gun.
- Her sentries, if looked at closely, resemble the turrets in Portal.
- Her teleporter is a portal which is the same in shape and color like the blue portal produced by the portal gun.
- From the enemy perspective it looks like the orange portal, also produced by the portal gun.
- The achievement "Huge Success" is a direct quote from the song Still Alive, sung during the first game's end credits by Ellen McLain, the voice actress for GLaDOS. Getting this achievement requires teleporting 20 players, which matches up with Portal's 20 Levels.
- Her voicelines "The cake is a lie....or is it?" and "Hmph, the cake is not a lie!" are also allusions to the famous quote "The Cake Is A Lie!" from the Portal series.
- Symmetra's theme sport in the Summer Games event was rhythmic gymnastics.
- Symmetra is an amputee. She has a mechanical left arm.
- Symmetra's Sentry turrets look like a more modern version of the Mini-Turrets from Bioshock 2. The form is similar with a ball-shaped body that is extended outwards by a mechanism when in active firing mode
- Symmetra's first name, Satya, is the Sanskrit word for "truth", which resonates with her desire to create a better world and her theme of "creating" her own reality as well as how she lacks awareness of what Vishkar is truly doing. Her codename, Symmetra, is derived from the word "symmetry", indicating her obsession with perfection, and the Indian name Sumitra, which means "true friend".
Patch Changes Edit
- ↑ A Better World
- ↑ Michael Chu on Twitter
- ↑ Symmetra is on the autism spectrum, as confirmed through a letter by Jeff Kaplan
- ↑ A Better World
- ↑ 
|General||Main • Quotes • Gallery • Skins and Weapons • Sprays|
|Abilities||Photon Projector • Sentry Turret • Photon Barrier • Teleporter • Shield Generator|
|Character relationships||Sanjay Korpal|
|Locations||Utopaea • Rio de Janeiro|
|Media||Comic Shorts||A Better World|
|Heroes in Overwatch|