Text Chat is a feed of messages from your team and the game. It includes messages entered by players as well as notifications.
The channel a message is sent in determines who is able to see the message. Each channel has a different color.
|General||Can be seen by a random assortment of players who are also on the menu screen.|
|Match||Can be seen by everyone in your match.|
|Team||Can be seen by everyone on your team.|
|Group||Can be seen by everyone in your group.|
|Whisper||Displays direct messages on Battle.net.|
Notifications will appear for:
- Players joining or leaving the game
- Players joining or leaving your group
- Teammates joining your voice channel
- Friends opening or closing Overwatch
- Teammates using the Communication Wheel
- Earning Achievements (optional)
Chat commands are entered by opening the chat and entering a command after the / character, e.g. /general
These commands are collected from the chat's autocomplete system. Some commands take additional arguments, like /invite MyFriend123.
- a, all, general, 1 - Switch to general chat
- cg, customgame - Switch to custom game chat
- decline - Decline the current group invite
- g, group, p - Switch to group chat
- hidechat - Hide chat
- invite [player] - Takes a player's name for an argument.
- join [player] - Joins another player's game, with their name provided as an argument.
joinchannel [channel]- Takes a channel's name for an argument. Custom channels are not implemented yet.
- kick [player] - Kicks a player from a group you are the leader of.
- leader, promote [player] - Promotes another player in your group to a leader.
- leave - Leave your group
leavechannel- Leave the current channel. Can only leave custom channels, which are unimplemented.
- list - List all players in your channel
- logout - Log out of the game
- m, match - Switch to match chat
- r, reply - Reply to last player (who whispered you)
- removefriend [player]
- w, whisper, tell, send [player] [message] - Sends a private message to a friend.
- spectate [player] - Spectate a friend
- t, team - Switch to team chat
In the Game Options, one can turn on a profanity filter that will replace profanity with asterisks.
When typing "gg ez" into the Match chat channel, it will be replaced with one of the following phrases:
- Great game, everyone!
- It was an honor to play with you all. Thank you.
- Wishing you all the best.
- Good game! Best of luck to you all!
- Gee whiz! That was fun. Good playing!
- Well played. I salute you all.
- I'm wrestling with some insecurity issues in my life but thank you all for playing with me.
- Ah shucks... you guys are the best!
- It's past my bedtime. Please don't tell my mommy.
- I could really use a hug right now.
- I feel very, very small... please hold me...
- I'm trying to be a nicer person. It's hard, but I am trying, guys.
- C'mon, Mom! One more game before you tuck me in. Oops mistell.
- Mommy says people my age shouldn't suck their thumbs.
- For glory and honor! Huzzah comrades!