An ultimate ability is an ability which is different from a hero's normal set of abilities. While normal abilities are typically available whenever a hero needs them, or are otherwise on a short cooldown, ultimate abilities are powerful capabilities that take a long time to become available after use.
The use of these abilities requires filling an ultimate meter with "charge". This charge builds over time, or if certain actions are performed (hitting enemies with your standard attack or blocking with your shield) this ultimate meter charges faster than normal. Once expended, the ultimate meter requires a long period of time to refill. Each hero's ultimate meter has a different base charge rate.
Ultimate ability typesEdit
There are three types of ultimate abilities: Transformation, Channeled, and Cast-time.
- Transformation ultimates give the hero passive upgrades while allowing them to use their regular abilities without restriction, after forcing the hero to go through a brief transformation animation. An exception is Configuration: Tank, which disables Reconfigure due to the nature of the ability.
- Channeled ultimates force the hero to enter a new state where their ability is channeled for the duration, restricting their other abilities. Channeled ultimates can be interrupted through most forms of crowd control, with the exception of Transcendence due to its invulnerability.
- Cast-time ultimates require a small widow of time to pass before their effect is activated. During this window, if the user is interrupted through crowd control or other means, the ultimate will not take effect and is expended.
- Resurrect was formerly Mercy's ultimate ability before it was turned into a normal ability and replaced by Valkyrie as Mercy's ultimate. It is still used as an ultimate by The Witch of the Wilds.
Build rate Edit
Ultimate abilities have a base build rate in seconds, and can also be built by dealing damage. Some heroes can also build ultimate through their healing abilities.
|60 seconds||120 damage||120 healing|
|Doomfist||Meteor Strike||N/A||5 seconds|
|Reaper||Death Blossom||3 seconds|
|Soldier: 76||Tactical Visor||6 seconds|
|Tracer||Pulse Bomb||N/A||2 seconds|
|Bastion||Configuration: Tank||8 seconds|
|Torbjörn||Molten Core||N/A||12 seconds|
|D.Va (Mech)||Self-Destruct||[UltTable 1]||N/A||4 seconds|
|D.Va (Pilot)||Call Mech||N/A||2 seconds|
|Roadhog||Whole Hog||6 seconds|
|Winston||Primal Rage||N/A||10 seconds|
|Zarya||Graviton Surge||N/A||4 seconds|
|Ana||Nano Boost||8 seconds|
|Lúcio||Sound Barrier||6 seconds|
|Shield Generator||N/A||2 seconds|
- ↑ As long as her mech explodes, D.Va will enter Pilot Form with full ultimate.