At its height, Overwatch maintained numerous bases around the world, each with its own purpose: peacekeeping, scientific research, or in the case of Watchpoint: Gibraltar, providing an orbital launch facility. The base was mothballed along with the rest of Overwatch's installations, but there have been recent reports of activity within the perimeter. Could this indicate the presence of former Overwatch agents, or is this the work of organizations with more nefarious intentions?
The payload on this map is a satellite drone. The attacking team must escort it to the launch gantry to send it into orbit.
Overhead map Edit
- Maps are taken from '2p maps'.
- External Media
The Rock of Gibraltar is a promontory located on the southern coast of the Iberian Peninsula. Roughly 40% of its land area is a nature reserve.
During its golden age, Overwatch established a Watchpoint in the Rock of Gibraltar for use as an orbital launch facility. After its collapse, Watchpoint: Gibraltar was shut down by mandate of the Petras Act. Winston and Athena continued to inhabit the watchpoint long afterwards. In the event that the Overwatch agents would need to be recalled, Winston sent a satellite drone into orbit to send a message when activated.
In Recall, Reaper and a group of Talon agents attacked the Watchpoint and attempted to hack into its computers. Winston was able to fight them off, and afterwards sent out the recall signal, re-establishing connections with Overwatch's agents.
- In Winston's lab, there is a blackboard that says "Winston's to-do list! - Step 1: Move satellite drone to launch platform! - Step 2: Launch drone into synchronous orbit - Step 3: Triangulate global "Recall" signal - Step 4: Call Overwatch agents back to active duty!!! - Order more peanut butter..."
- Before the March 8, 2016 patch, a few monitors displayed messages from Athena trying to contact Winston. After the patch, they now display Athena's logo. The patch also added a large hole in the window within Winston's lab. This was made to match with the animated short, Recall.
- Winston's lab has a chart depicting the map and the route the payload takes.
- Within the crew quarters are a set of lockers, each with a name stenciled along their bottom: Bowden, Sparks, Pinto, Rogers, Klevstav, Klimas, and Eulaers. Some of these are direct nods to the environment team for Overwatch: Helder Pinto, Dion Rogers, Philip Klevestav, Andrew Klimas, and Bram Eulaers. Lee Sparks is the Senior Game Producer.
- A poster of Genji is above one of the beds.
- The shuttle in the hangar is marked "Lt. Maria Estrada" and "Aurora OSS-7".
- Watchpoint: Gibraltar was originally teased in a tweet from @PlayOverwatch. It was officially announced on March 6, 2015.
Patch changes Edit
- ↑ Overwatch Visual Source Book, p.158
- ↑ http://2p.com/42599492_1/Overwatch-Health-Pack-Locations-for-All-Maps-by-JaminNoob.htm
- ↑ Wikipedia:Rock of Gibraltar
- ↑ @PlayOverwatch
- ↑ http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20748454911#post-1
|Maps in Overwatch|
|Assault||Hanamura (Winter) •• Temple of Anubis •• Volskaya Industries|
|Escort||Dorado •• Route 66 •• Watchpoint: Gibraltar|
|Hybrid||Eichenwalde •• Hollywood (Halloween) •• King's Row (Winter) •• Numbani|
|Control||Ilios •• Lijiang Tower (Lunar) •• Nepal •• Oasis|
|Arcade||Ecopoint: Antarctica (Winter) •• Ilios Lighthouse | Well | Ruins •• Lijiang Night Market | Garden | Control Center •• Nepal Village | Shrine | Sanctum •• Oasis City Center | Gardens | University|
|Event||Estádio das Rãs •• Adlersbrunn •• Ecopoint: Antarctica (Winter) •• Lijiang (CtR)|