| "Let me show you how it's done."|
This article has been semi-protected! Reason: Excessive vandalism.
A super-intelligent, genetically engineered gorilla, Winston is a brilliant scientist and a champion for humanity's potential.
The Horizon Lunar Colony was established as a first step for humanity's renewed exploration of space. Among its residents was a group of genetically enhanced gorillas that were intended to test the effects of prolonged habitation in space.
One gorilla displayed such rapid brain development from the gene therapy that he was taken under the wing of Dr. Harold Winston, who taught him science and inspired him with tales of human ingenuity. The young gorilla passed his days assisting with the scientists' experiments, watching the distant blue world outside his habitat window, dreaming of the endless possibilities that awaited him there.
But his life was thrown into chaos when the other gorillas led an uprising, killed the mission scientists, and claimed the colony for their own. Taking on the name of his beloved human caretaker, Winston built a makeshift rocket and escaped to Earth. There he found a new home with Overwatch, an organization that represented everything he had come to admire about humanity. Winston was finally able to live up to the heroic ideal that had been instilled in him.
Now with the fall of Overwatch, Winston has gone into seclusion, once again cut off from the world he believes in, but longing for the days of heroism to return.
Beside these abilities, Winston is able to jump, crouch, reload (only when his ammo is not full), and perform Quick Melee. However, when he activates his ultimate ability, Winston cannot crouch, reload and perform Quick Melee.
- All seasonal event items, which are marked with special event icons ( • • • ), are only available to be unlocked either through the respective Loot Boxes or by Credits within the event's duration.
- a This emote after activating will remain in its animation until the player inputs other actions to interrupt it.
- ...Excuse Me ("Buh-ahahahahaa... uh... excuse me.")
- Curious (default)
- Don't Get Me Angry
- How Embarrassing!
- I Do Not Want A Banana ("No, I do not want a banana.")
- Natural Selection
- No Monkey Business
- Peanut Butter? ("Did... someone say peanut butter?")
- Sorry About That!
- The Power Of Science!
- We Have A Problem ("Houston, uh... we have a problem.")
- Playtime's Over ()
- This Is Not A Costume (, 75)
- I... Got You Something (, 75, "I... uh, got you something.")
- That Was Awesome! (, 75)
- For Winston-specific sprays, see Winston/Sprays.
Winston was initially a subject in the tests on genetically enhanced gorillas that took place in Lucheng Interstellar's Horizon Lunar Colony. He had shown unusually rapid development, so Dr. Harold Winston, from whom Winston got his name, took personal care of him. Through him, Winston learned science and helped in the doctor's research. The scientist also instill in the gorilla's mind a sense of freedom and adventure, to question the world waiting for him. The doctor also gave Winston his signature glasses.
When the other gorillas started to revolt against the colony, murder all of the scientists in the colony, Winston built a rocket by himself and escaped to Earth. Winston found a new home as a member of Overwatch. There, he became both a soldier and a scientist. His skill in combat led to him defeating Doomfist, and his craftsmanship and knowledge allowed him save the life of Tracer by building for her the chronal accelerator.
After the collapse of Overwatch, Winston and Athena retreated to Watchpoint: Gibraltar, from which he launched a satellite drone in the event that Overwatch would need to be recalled. He included with it a personal message to the former agents. Winston's lab at the Watchpoint was invaded by Reaper and several Talon agents in order to extract the information of former Overwatch agents. He was able to dispatch them, and afterwards decided to finally recall Overwatch agents to active duty. Later, Winston worked with Tracer to stop Widowmaker and Reaper from stealing Doomfist's gauntlet. Though the gauntlet was damaged, there were no casualties.
On Christmas, Winston and Athena were waiting for Tracer and her girlfriend Emily to have a meal together at Watchpoint: Gibraltar's lab. His wait is paid off when they all arrived in time for the dinner.
Winston is an awkward yet gentle giant, never wanting to inflict unnecessary harm on innocents and often stuttering whenever someone compliments him. He is a huge fan of Overwatch and really cares about its members to the point of calling them family in the Are You With Us? cinematic teaser. He also seems to have a love for peanut butter and bananas, as shown in the Recall animated short, his Voice Lines and Emotes.
Winston is rather smart when it comes to craftsmanship, as proven by his ability to create the chronal accelerator. He is even considered an intelligent scientist as well, and he hates being called a monkey.
- Winston is a highly mobile tank that leaps around, creating chaos.
- He works best when moving around, thus is different from the standard stand and plant tank.
- Winston is an effective counter to many agile, low-health heroes, such as Widowmaker, Junkrat and Mercy. His Tesla Cannon does damage in an area and does not require aiming, meaning even the most agile heroes have trouble avoiding it. The short cooldown on jump allows him to launch into the enemy's back line and wreak havoc among low-health targets. It also allows him to easily follow those targets that attempt to flee.
- Winston's jump
- You can jump farther depending of your angle and your movimentation.
- Pointing straight up before using Winston's jump will make him jump extremely high, and he can still be moved while jumping as other characters can.
- Walking forward and jumping will make your jump larger. Walking backward and jumping will make your jump smaller, good against close targets. Walking forward/backward after jumping will have minor effect compared to before jump.
- When fighting an enemy, move in and out of your barrier, blocking their attacks while keeping them in range of your Tesla Cannon.
- Winston's Barrier Projector blocks shots going out as well as in. It can limit the range of entrenched enemies or turrets.
- Although powerful, Winston's giant health pool comes at a small disadvantage: because it is difficult to kill him, sometimes players shooting at him may not be trying to prevent him from reaching an area, but rather to charge up their Ultimate Ability, causing this to be a huge disadvantage for Winston and his teammates in a later time.
- Winston can use his Barrier Projector in the air - combine this with his Jump Pack to protect teammates, block enemy shots and cross gaps at the same time.
- However, take note that the Barrier Projector will not be launched in the player's direction - rather, it will fall to the ground slowly. Keep this in mind when jumping into the battlefield.
- When landing after using a Jump Pack, you knock enemies back. Keep this in mind as it may be useful for scoring environmental kills.
- However, be careful not to leap off the edge, as you cannot control Winston while leaping in midair.
- Winston can use his Barrier Projector to contain Dva's Self Destruct ultimate or at least reduce the blast radius however if Winston can't get away in time then this can be used as a self-sacrificing move in order to protect the team.
- Reaper and Roadhog both have a large shotgun spread, and Winston will take most, if not all of the projectiles at close range.
- Provided Winston does not have his Barrier Projector up, Pharah can eliminate him from the skies.
- Bastion's Sentry Configuration can quickly and easily tear apart Winston's Barrier Projector.
- Lúcio's Soundwave can easily knock off Winston, keeping him away from the Tesla Cannon's range. Depending of the situation, it will be hard for Winston to quickly clean off Lúcio from the battlefield.
- Mei's Endothermic Blaster is a pretty big counter to Winston's Tesla Cannon. Both have similar fire rate, but Mei can easily freeze Winston before she die. Combined to the short moments she could use her Icicle, Winston become an easy target .
- Sombra's Hack is a parasite which cannot be underestimated by Winston. The Hack block the access to Winston's Jump Pack, a very vital when came time to disengage or engage. The effects caused by a Sombra's Hack are much bigger if she is in a group.
- Winston and his storyline may be a reference to The Planet of the Apes series.
- Winston is voiced by Crispin Freeman, who also voiced Roy Harper(Speedy/Red Arrow/Arsenal) in the cartoon Young Justice, as well as Itachi Uchiha in the anime Naruto. He also voiced several characters in Blizzard's other IP, World of Warcraft, the most notable being Vindicator Maraad in the Warlords of Draenor expansion.
- Winston's name and origin may be derived from Winston Scott, an American astronaut who was assigned as a specialist with the STS-72 Endeavor. Winston's versatile jump pack also alludes to this, as the crew of the Endeavor was tasked with conducting multiple EVA walks in preparation for the International Space Station.
- Winston's ultimate ability Primal Rage is most likely a reference to the popular 90's game franchise by the same name (Primal Rage).
- Winston is very similar to Marvel Comics character Hank McCoy aka Beast, an animalistic person with great intellect.
- The voice line "Houston, we have a problem" is a direct, unedited quote from the film Apollo 13, which has become not only symbolic for NASA but a staple in pop culture; the line, however, is incorrect. The correct line is "Houston we've had a problem."
- Winston's pose "The Thinker" is the same as that of the bronze sculpture " " by Auguste Rodin, originally part of a larger commission, The Gates of Hell. The Thinker represents intellect and poetry, which to some degree reflects the personality of Winston. It was treated as an individual work after completion of The Gates of Hell.
|General||Main • Quotes • Gallery • Skins and Weapons • Sprays|
|Abilities||Tesla Cannon • Jump Pack • Barrier Projector • Primal Rage|
|Lore||Organizations||Lucheng Interstellar • Overwatch|
|Character relationships||Harold Winston • Tracer • Athena • Reaper • Brian • Timmy|
|Locations||Horizon Lunar Colony • Watchpoint: Gibraltar|
|Media||Articles||Overwatch is Back|
|Animated Shorts||Cinematic Trailer • We Are Overwatch • Are You With Us? • Recall|
|Others||Winston's Journey to the West|
|Heroes in Overwatch|