In one of the many experiments carried out at Horizon Lunar Colony, animals were given genetic therapy to assess their adaptation to extended periods of habitation on the moon. As an unexpected side effect, several of them exhibited exceptional growth in physical size and brain function. While most of the test subjects were gorillas or other primates, there were some exceptions, including a hamster named Hammond.
Like the others, Hammond's intelligence grew, and he became more curious about the world around him. Much to the puzzlement and amusement of the scientists, Hammond would frequently escape into different parts of the moon base. Though they'd always find him and return him to his cell, they never figured out the true purpose behind his nightly escapades. What they didn't know was that Hammond was busy teaching himself the skills of a mechanic, which would soon come in handy.
The colony was eventually thrown into chaos when some of the gorillas rose up against the human scientists and took control. Not all of the animals participated, however, and one of the gorillas, Winston, was making a plan to escape to earth. Hammond sensed his opportunity. He built a makeshift capsule and secretly hitched it to Winston's craft as the gorilla blasted off. As the two entered earth's atmosphere, Hammond broke off and landed in a different location: the wasteland of the Australian Outback.
Hammond modified his escape pod to enter the lucrative mech battle arena of the Scrapyard. Working his way up the ranks, "Wrecking Ball" went from contender to champion, though the pilot's identity remained a mystery to all. Gathering his winnings, Hammond was able to upgrade his mech enough to survive the dangerous trek out of the Junker-controlled Outback.
Now free to travel and do as he pleases, Hammond is exploring the world and finding new adventures along the way.
- All seasonal event items, which are marked with special event icons ( • • • • • ), are only available to be unlocked either through their respective Loot Boxes or by Credits within the event's duration. During the event, newly-introduced event items cost three times as much as non-event items of the same rarity, while returning seasonal items are unlocked at the regular price.
Hammond is a sentient Hamster that was on the Horizon Lunar Colony. His official designation was Specimen 8. Before the base's fall, Hammond escaped from his cage/room and into the ventilation system thus building a smaller escape pod. Dr. Zhang noted his absence for a week, but few within the base gave it much heed. He went missing just before the apes rose an uprising against the scientists, attached his pod with Winston's and traveled to Earth, and his current whereabouts are unknown.
- Unlike Winston's room, Hammond has a glass-like enclosure around his bed.
- Wrecking Ball is the second playable hero that doesn't speak itself, after Bastion. However, he is able to communicate thanks to his mecha.
- Wrecking Ball is the only Hero with two distinct voice actors.
- Wrecking Ball can achieve the highest amount of HP in the game while 6 enemies are within range of his Adaptive Shield. He requires teammates of Torbjörn, Brigitte, and Lúcio, and can achieve 2300 HP for less than a second (due to the rapid decay of Sound Barrier).
- Hammond was one of the original character concepts, mostly the mech itself years back when they were first pitching the game of Overwatch, however, instead of a hamster it was going to be a Junker Omnic with magnet powers. The developers said that they are probably going to bring back the magnet powers for a new character at some point in the future
- Hammond is the 2nd Youngest Hero in the game at 14 Years Old after Orisa. He is also the Youngest Non-Omnic in the game.
- In the Summer Games, Hammond’s signature sport is Bowling, an obvious reference to his mech.
- Blizzard artists said Hammond's character design was influenced by hamsters in other media. They listed Hamtaro, Bolt, and Zootopia as examples of such media.
- Although G-Force was not mentioned, Wrecking Ball was added to the live game on July 24, the same day as the premier of the movie.
- Hammond's name may be in reference to the TV show Top Gear/The Grand Tour. One of the hosts, Richard Hammond, was nicknamed "The Hamster" due to his height, as he was the smallest of the three hosts.
- Coincidently, Richard Hammond's fellow host, Jeremy Clarkson, is nicknamed "The Orangutan". Both the orangutan and the gorilla are types of apes, and the hero Winston happens to be the latter.
- The third host, James May, is nicknamed "Captain Slow" or "Mr. Slowly", the hero Mei happens to have the ability to freeze enemies and slow them down.
- Wrecking Ball's sprays:
- The "Hamster Ball" spray shows him spinning in a ball like Sonic from Sonic the Hedgehog.
- The "Hoard" spray is very likely a reference to Hamtaro.
- The "Pilot" spray is likely a reference to Dragon Ball Z. It resembles Vegeta's pose from his arrival on Earth, including the escape pod.
|Wrecking Ball Navigation|
|General||Main • Quotes • Gallery • Skins and Weapons • Sprays|
|Abilities||Quad Cannons • Grappling Claw • Roll • Adaptive Shield • Piledriver • Minefield|
|Locations||Horizon Lunar Colony • Junkertown|
|Media||Animated Shorts||Wrecking Ball Origin Story|
|Heroes in Overwatch|