|Overwatch Seasonal Events – Year of the Rooster|
Year of the Rooster was a Lunar New Year-based seasonal event in Overwatch that started on January 24, 2017, and ended on February 13, 2017. The event included a new capture-the-flag brawl mode, Capture the Rooster, which takes place in a modified seasonal Lijiang Tower reskin.
The event also contained a Lunar New Year reskin of Lijiang Tower, 2 special achievements and a limited series of items, which could be earned through special Loot Boxes, and unlocked through Hero Gallery. All event-exclusive content became unobtainable once the event ended.
A special tapestry, Winston's Journey to the West, was released as a part of this event's promotion.
Capture the RoosterEdit
- Main article: Capture the Rooster
Capture the Rooster is an Arcade game mode exclusive to the event; it replaced the mode Mystery Duel in the time of the event. This special Brawl takes place on one stage of a modified seasonal Lijiang Tower reskin. Both teams have a flag near their spawn room that the other team must capture. A player can pick up the other team's flag after a short capture time, and their team gains a point if it is taken to their team's flag spot. However, the flag will be dropped if the player is killed, and can be returned to its start if the other team captures it back.
There are 2 Special achievements tied to this brawl that will unlock sprays when achieved.
Year of the Rooster items Edit
There are 124 Year of the Rooster items, which are comprised of 13 Skins, 3 Emotes, 7 Victory Poses, 23 Voice Lines, 52 Sprays (including 2 Sprays from the achievements), 3 Highlight Intros, and 23 Player Icons. All items can be earned by opening special Loot Boxes, which replaces the normal Loot Boxes during the Year of the Rooster event. All items excluding player icons are purchasable at a cost of three times the normal price of items of the same rarity. Completing Special achievements will grant the player unique sprays which are exclusive to this event. Items along with the achievements which were not obtained during the event remain unavailable after the event ends.
Additional Skins Edit
Additional Emotes Edit
Additional Victory Poses Edit
Additional Voicelines Edit
- The Moon In Winter (Ana) ("More lost than the moon in winter.")
- Woop Doo Woo Dun Woop (Bastion) (Humming a song in a cheerful voice)
- The Best Things In Life (D.Va) ("The best things in life come in small packages.")
- To Know Yourself (Genji) ("To know yourself is to be at peace.")
- When The Moon Is Full (Hanzo) ("When the moon is full, it begins to wane.")
- Gong Xi Fa Cai (Junkrat) (" ")
- I Make This Look Good... (Lúcio) ("I make this look good... real good.")
- Calls For A Celebration (McCree) ("This calls for a celebration.")
- Wishing You Prosperity (Mei) (" ")
- A Most Impressive Display (Mercy)
- I Keep The Peace (Pharah)
- Now Those Are Fireworks (Reaper) ("Now those are some fireworks.")
- Are You Chicken? (Reinhardt)
- You Chicken? (Roadhog)
- The Rooster Crows (Soldier: 76) ("The rooster crows at midnight.")
- You're Easily Impressed (Sombra)
- Good Fortune (Symmetra) ("Huhuhuh, good fortune.")
- Too Hot For You? (Torbjörn)
- Ready For Some Fireworks? (Tracer) (Who's ready for some fireworks?)
- You Have My Attention (Widowmaker)
- That Was Awesome! (Winston)
- Get Pumped (Zarya)
- Every Rooster Crows (Zenyatta) ("Every rooster crows in its own pen.")
Additional Sprays Edit
Additional Highlight Intros Edit
Additional Player Icons Edit
Lijiang Tower map reskin Edit
- Main article: Lijiang Tower (Lunar New Year)
- Night Market
- Control Center
Pachimari Paper Lanterns Edit
As part of the promotion of the Year of the Rooster, Blizzard Entertainment released a set of pachimari paper lanterns. Feel free to check out what you want below and print.
- The song that plays during D.Va's Year of the Rooster menu screen is a rendition of the Korean folk song, 아리랑 (Arirong).